How Wait Lists Work
Departments may choose to enable wait lists for their classes. When these classes reach maximum enrollment and additional students attempt to register, a wait list is created.
Joining a Wait List for a Full Class
If you receive a FULL - SELECT WAIT LIST & SUBMIT error when registering, reserve your spot in line by selecting Wait List from the drop-down in the Action column. Click Submit to complete the request. Students are not automatically put onto a wait list.
Be aware that all course prerequisites must be met to be accepted onto a wait list. As being on a wait list is not the same as being registered, wait list credits do not count toward enrollment.
Can I register for wait list for multiple sections of the same class? Yes, however you can only be registered in one section of a class at a time. When a seat opens, other classes can be added and dropped to achieve the desired schedule.
When Space Opens
If you are on a wait list, be diligent in checking VandalMail! This will be your only notification of registration availability when a seat opens in wait listed classes.
- After receiving the VandalMail notification, you must register within 24 hours. Wait list registration does not extend beyond web registration deadlines, even if the 24-hour window ends later. Remember: all financial and registration holds must be resolved before adding a wait listed class is allowed.
- Login to VandalWeb. From the Students tab, select Registration, then Registration: Add/Drop Classes, and Register for Classes. Choose the desired term from the drop-down menu and click Continue. In the lower-right Summary panel, use the Action drop-down next to Status to change the class to **Web Registered**. Use the same column to drop any classes that create time conflicts. Check the Conditional Add and Drop box to prevent dropping existing classes if the selected classes are no longer available to add. Click Submit.
- If no action is taken, within the 24-hour window, the class is dropped and notification goes to the next student on the list.
- After being dropped from the wait list, you must re-add (and select the Wait List option) if you still want to register for the class.
- To remove yourself from a wait list, select Drop from the Action drop-down.
Departmental Registration Override
If an instructor or academic department grants you an override to register while you are on a wait list, you must first drop from the wait list. Navigate to Register for Classes, select the desired term, and click Continue.
- In the lower-right Summary section, select Drop from the Action drop-down and click Submit twice; once to drop the class and once to remove it from the Summary.
- Add the class once more by entering the CRN or using Class Search.
- Your registration is confirmed when Registered appears next to the class.
Wait lists are available until the session's registration deadline and are automatically dropped afterwards. Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters each have multiple sessions. All registration actions must be completed by these deadlines. Registration deadlines supersede wait list notifications, including those sent on the final day of registration.