Area Youth Development Educator
Caldwell Research and Extension Center
1904 E. Chicago Street Suite A-B
Caldwell, ID 83605
Toomey is an experienced youth development leader with an unwavering commitment to Idaho families and youth. She directs the Idaho 4-H healthy living program building strong partnerships within and outside the university. Toomey has diverse experiences working with rural communities and directing outreach to Latino youth and families.
M.Ed., University of Idaho, 1993
B.A., University of Utah, 1983
B.S., University of Utah, 1981
- Toomey, M., G. Wittman, M. Cummins and R. Davids. 2016. Healthy Living for Challenged Youth.
- Wittman, G., M. Toomey, L. Vega, J. Buck and G. Silkwood. 2016. 4-H Healthy Living Teen Advocates teach nutrition education classes.
- Greenway, S., M. Toomey, J. Peutz, G. Wittman and R. Lanting. 2016. 4-H Food Smart Families: Implementation in two states’ diverse settings.
- Vega, L., N. Deringer, M. Toomey and J. McShane. 2014. 4-H Afterschool — Giving youth life skills for tomorrow.
- Toomey, M., J. McShane, L. Vega. June 2015. Assessment of Needs for Children, Youth and Families Farmway Village, Caldwell Idaho.
- Toomey, M., S. Kane. July 2013. Interests, Opportunities & Engagement — What do the Youth Say?, Boundary County Youth Community Needs Assessment.
Toomey focuses on delivery of quality healthy living programs to ease the challenges families’ face, especially those who have few resources. Through grants, contracts and gifts she works to provide programs to vulnerable youth. These programs give youth a sense of belonging and a chance at showing independence, mastering skills and contributing to their communities. Specifically, Toomey directs the 4-H Food Smart Families (2014-2017), reaching over 8,300 youth, engaging 41 teen advocates and 32 college interns. Toomey serves on the National 4-H Council Latino Advisory Committee, Extension Committee on Policy and Programs Positive Youth Develop for Health Team, and Idaho Extension’s Internship Committee. She advises on outreach to Latino youth and families, and directs healthy living curricula and resources.
- National Association of Extension 4-H Agent Award, Excellence in Healthy Living Programming, Team — National Winner (and Western Region), 4-H Food Smart Families, 2017.
- Idaho Association of Extension 4-H Professionals, State Award for Excellence in Healthy Living Programming, Team, 4-H Food Smart Families, 2017.
- University of Idaho Extension Diversity Award, Team Lead, April 2016.
- Idaho Association of Extension 4-H Agents, Meritorious Service Award, 2015.
- Idaho Association of Extension 4-H Agents, Distinguished Service Award, 2007.