Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Sciences
University of Idaho Extension, Bingham County
412 W. Pacific St.
Blackfoot, ID 83221
Julie's programming areas include health, nutrition, food safety, 4-H youth development and Bingham county chair. Julie is a registered dietitian nutritionist and previously worked as a nutrition faculty member at Brigham Young University-Idaho.
Ed.D., University of Idaho
M.H.E., Idaho State University
B.S., Idaho State University
- Aging well
- Lifecycle nutrition
- Diabetes wellness
- Hunger issues
- Underserved audiences
- Buck, J., Greenway, S., Hoffman, K., Wittman, G., and Kim, J.H. 2018. Educators teach effective hand washing with a simplified method. Journal of Extension, 56(6), Ideas at Work 6IAW2. Available at https://joe.org/joe/2018october/iw2.php
- Wright I., S. Safaii, M. Raidl, J.H. Buck, M.R. Spencer, et al. Effectiveness of the Healthy Diabetes Plate and Social Media Project. J Nutri Health. 2015;1(2): 6. Available from: www.avensonline.org/wp-content/uploads/JNH-2469-4185-01-0007.pdf.
- Liebman, M., K. Propst, S.A. Moore, S. Pelican, B. Holmes, M.K. Wardlaw, L.M. Melcher, J.C. Harker, P.M. Dennee, T. Dunnagan, (2003) Gender differences in selected dietary intakes and eating behaviors in rural communities in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Nutrition Research, 23. 991-1002.
- Buck J.H. Cooking with Kids and Avoid Power Struggles at Mealtime [New Resources for Nutrition Educators]. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2017; 49:182.
- Buck, J.H. March 2016. Reviewed "The Two Bite Club and Discover MyPlate: Team Nutrition 'MyPlate' ebooks." 2016, USDA Food and Nutrition Service, Child Nutrition Programs, ebooks. JNEB-D-16-00169. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior.
- Preserve@Home increases food preservation knowledge and behavior
- Mealtime Inspirations: An educational community event in southeast Idaho
- Mealtime Inspirations positively impacts participants in southeastern Idaho
- Fitness class in Bannock County results in seniors increasing physical activity
- Extension educators teach older Idahoans to live healthier lives
- Mealtime Inspirations improves participant knowledge and projected behaviors
- Dining with Diabetes class participants increase knowledge
- Preparing meals at home with hands-on cooking under pressure workshops
- Youth cooking program builds knowledge and instills confidence in participants
- Remley, D., L. Gallup, J. Buck, L. Graves, S. Gallup, M. Jenkins, P. Daniels, and J. Amende. Excellence in Multi State Collaboration Award-The National Dining with Diabetes Extension Working Group Paving the Way for National Family and Consumer Sciences Programs, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, 2nd Place National Winner, 2nd Place Central Region Winner, 2019.
- Hutchings, B., A. Robertson, S. Greenway, J. Buck, J. Peutz, B. Morrisroe-Aman, S. Martinex, and A. Burchak. Innovation in Programming Award-Cooking Under Pressure, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, 3rd Place National Winner and 1st Place Western Region Winner, 2019.
- Sant, L., J. Buck, L. Dye, K. Hoffman, L. Blanch. Social Media – Online Video: Mealtime Inspirations, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, 2nd Place Western Regional Winner, 2018.
- Peutz, J., B. Morrisroe-Aman, A. Roe, K. Hansen, E. Comer, N. Telford, S. Johnson, J. Buck, R. Lanting, Marketing Package Award- Long Live Idaho!, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, 1st Place Western Region Winner, State Winner, 2017.
- Communications Television/Video Program Award-Mealtime Inspirations, National Education Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, 2017.
- 4-H Food Smart Families. Florence Hall Award Western Region first place winner. National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (NEAFCS) 2017.
- 4-H Food Smart Families. Excellence in Healthy Living Programming Award. Western Region and National Award. National Association of Extension 4-H Agents (NAE4HA) 2017.
- Food Safety Award-Preserve@Home, National Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, 1st Place National Winner, 1st Place Western Region Winner, State Winner, 2016.