Indrajit Charit, Ph.D., P.E.
Indrajit Charit, Ph.D., P.E.
Department Chair, Professor
TAB Building, Room 314
University of Idaho, Idaho Falls
1776 Science Center Drive
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
- Ph.D., Metallurgical Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T), 2004
- M.E., Metallurgy, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), 2000
- B.E., Metallurgical Engineering, Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST), 1997
- MSE 313 Physical Metallurgy
- MSE 412 Mechanical Behavior of Materials
- NE/MSE J437/J537 Radiation Effects on Materials
- NE/MSE J438/J538 Fundamentals of Nuclear Materials
- MSE 507 Microstructures and Defects
- Processing-Microstructure-Property Correlations
- Nuclear Materials
- Structural Materials
- High Temperature Mechanical Behavior of Materials (e.g. creep, creep-fatigue, superplasticity)
- Advanced Manufacturing (e.g. Additive Manufacturing, Spark Plasma Sintering, Friction Stir Welding/Processing, Pressure Resistance Welding)
Indrajit Charit is a professor of Materials Science & Engineering (MSE) and Nuclear Engineering (NE) programs at the University of Idaho. He is currently serving as the MSE Program Director. He earned his doctoral degree from the Missouri University of Science & Technology (formerly University of Missouri-Rolla) in 2004. He joined the faculty of the University of Idaho in July 2007 following a postdoctoral stint at the North Carolina State University. His research interests span across various aspects of advanced materials processing, microstructure and mechanical characterization with a focus on the field of high temperature energy materials. His current/recent research has been supported by the US Department of Energy Office of Nuclear Energy, National Energy Technology Laboratory, Idaho National Laboratory and the State of Idaho through the IGEM program. He is the author/co-author of about 130 publications including journal and conference proceedings articles, book chapters and a textbook. He also serves as a reviewer for various journals and federal grant proposals. He is a professional engineer licensed in Idaho (license # 15773).
- N.D. Jerred, R. Khanal, M.T. Benson, R.D. Mariani, S. Choudhury, and I. Charit, “Nd, SbNd, and Sb3Nd4, and their interactions with the cladding alloy HT9,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, 541 (2020) 152387.
- R. Khanal, N. Jerred, Michael T. Benson, Y. Xie, R.D. Mariani, I. Charit, and S. Choudhury, “Interactions and Immobilization of Lanthanides with Dopants in Uranium-based Metallic Fuels,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, 540 (2020) 152372.
- A. Kundu, A. Bateman, B. Jaques, I. Charit, and C. Jiang, “A Preliminary Study on Helium and Sulfur Ion Irradiated BCC Iron: In Situ Tensile Testing Using a Push-to-Pull Device,” JOM (TMS), 72 (2020) 2398-2407.
- R. Khanal, N. Jerred, M.T. Benson, D.A. Andersson, R.D. Mariani, I. Charit, and S. Choudhury, “A Novel Approach to Selection of Dopant to Immobilize Neodymium in Uranium-Based Metallic Fuels,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, 529 (2020) 151922.
- N.D. Jerred, R. Khanal, M.T. Benson, E.E. Perez, J.A. King, M. Dubey, J. Burns, I. Charit, S. Choudhury, and Robert D. Mariani, “Evaluation of Tellurium as a Fuel Additive in Neodymium-Containing U-Zr Metallic Fuel,” Scientific Reports, 9 (2019) 16403.
- M. Taylor, J. Ramirez, I. Charit, G. Potirniche, B. Stephens, and M. Glazoff, “Creep Behavior of Alloy 709 at 700oC,” Materials Science & Engineering A, 762 (2019) 138083.
- S. Goel, A. Sittiho, U. Klement, S. Joshi, and I. Charit, “Effect of Post-Treatments under Hot Isostatic Pressure on Microstructural Characteristics of EBM-built Alloy 718,” Additive Manufacturing, 28 (2019) 727-737.
- J. Webb, S. Gollapudi and I. Charit, “An Overview of Creep in Tungsten and Its Alloys,” International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, 82 (2019) 69-80.
- S. Pasebani, I. Charit, Y. Wu, J. Burns, K.N. Allahar, D.P. Butt, J.I. Cole, and S.F. Alsagabi, “Lanthana-Bearing Nanostructured Ferritic Steels via Spark Plasma Sintering,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, 470 (2016) 297-306.
- A. Guria and I. Charit, “Observation of Serrated Flow in APMTTM Alloy,” Materials Letters, 160 (2015) 55-57.
- S. Pasebani, I. Charit, Y.Q. Wu, D.P. Butt, and J.I. Cole, “Mechanical Alloying of Lanthana-Bearing Nanostructured Ferritic Steels,” Acta Materialia, 61 (2013) 5605-5617.
- T. Shrestha, M. Basirat, I. Charit, G. Potirniche, K. Rink and U. Sahaym, “Creep Deformation Mechanisms in Modified 9Cr-1Mo Steel,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, 423 (2012) 110-119.
Charit has been involved in many outreach efforts giving tours to visiting high school students to inspire them to pursue higher studies in engineering.
- University of Idaho Presidential Mid-Career Award, 2016-2018
- ASM-IIM Visiting Lectureship Award, 2014-2015
- Outstanding Faculty Award, College of Engineering, University of Idaho, 2013-2014
- Alumni Award for Excellence in Mentoring, University of Idaho Alumni Association, 2013
- Outstanding Young Faculty Award, College of Engineering, University of Idaho, 2008-2009