Degrees in Mechanical Engineering
Our department offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in mechanical engineering.
Mechanical engineers are effective designers capable of modeling and experimentally verifying a mechanical or thermal system, a component or a process while meeting specified engineering requirements and considering real-world constraints and the impact their solutions have on society.
Become a proficient problem-solver, capable of identifying, formulating and finding solutions to engineering problems by applying your knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering.
- No. 1 Best Value Public University in the West – ranked for the second year in a row by U.S. News and World Report. We’re also the only public university in Idaho to be ranked best value by Forbes, Money, and The Princeton Review.
- Top 7 in the Nation for “infusing real-world experiences into engineering education” through our undergraduate Senior Capstone Design Program – National Academy of Engineering
- Personalized Attention from nationally and internationally recognized faculty and staff through small class sizes, 1-on-1 interaction, mentorship, advising and research collaboration. All faculty hold Ph.D.s in their field.
- 92% Graduate with Jobs or are enrolled in graduate education or military service – First Destination Survey
- Highest Salary Earnings for early- and mid-career undergraduate degree recipients than any other public university in Idaho – Payscale
- More Scholarships Awarded than any 4-year public engineering college in Idaho.
- Hands-On Experience, Guaranteed ALL U of I College of Engineering students participate in hands-on experiences, through our nationally recognized Senior Capstone Design Program and Engineering Design EXPO, Cooperative Education Program (Co-op), Idaho’s only Grand Challenge Scholars Program and paid undergraduate assistantships.
Vandals Deliver A Life-Saving Gift
Engineering, WWAMI Medical students build assistive CPR device to help more users, and those with disabilities, successfully perform CPR.
Design, Build, Celebrate
U of I cross-college and campus collaboration brings 150 LED triangles to Vandal Marching Band’s 100th anniversary halftime performance.