University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to SlateConnect.


What can I do if I am wait-listed for a course that I absolutely need for that semester?

If you are wait listed for a course you need for the semester, consider how many students are currently on the wait list. Some courses cannot accept students off wait lists due to classroom size availability. Please consult with your academic advisor ASAP to determine if another course can be taken in its place or if there is the possibility of taking the wait listed course out of sequence. Students may also email the course instructor to see if they anticipate allowing students in off the wait list.

Are there any pre-requisite courses or course grade requirements that I should know about in my degree requirements?

Yes. Many CNR degree programs have indicator courses or minimum grade requirements that gauge a student’s academic readiness for upper-division courses.

The following programs have required minimum grades and/or a required minimum GPA:

  • Forestry: 2.0 or higher in Forestry courses

Are there any courses that are only offered every other semester and/or year, and how can I best plan my curriculum to account for these courses?

Yes. Refer to your degree checklist and use it as a tool for degree planning. The degree checklists indicate if courses are fall only, spring only, both fall and spring or alternating years. Meet with your advisor to review your degree plan to ensure you remain in sequence.

Which courses must be taken in a particular sequence, and which courses can be taken any semester?

Refer to your degree checklist for course sequence. It is vital that students stay in sequence in all CNR programs. First and second year courses provide the foundation for success in third and fourth year courses. Most general education requirements can be completed in any semester, in no particular order.

Where can I get help if I have trouble in any of my classes?

Students are recommended to start with the instructor/professor of the course in which they are having difficulties. Meeting with instructors/professors will ensure that the student understands the expectations of the course. The next step would be to attend tutoring or supplemental instruction sessions. Drop-in tutoring takes place on the second floor of the library and supplemental instruction session times vary. To find the most up-to-date tutoring and supplemental instruction schedules, visit Tutoring and College Success.

What is an academic minor, and how does my current major accommodate it?

Academic minors are intended to supplement the degree program you are pursuing or provide you with the opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in a field different from your major. All CNR majors that require a minor to fulfill graduation requirements have credits for the minor figured into the degree checklist.

What is the difference between a class substitution and a class waiver?

A class substitution is used to fulfill a degree requirement with a course other than the required course (evidence of course equivalency is required). A class waiver allows a student to by-pass a course without earning credit for that course (the course will show as WAIVED on the student’s Degree Audit).

Both class substitutions and class waivers are granted at the discretion of the CNR and should only be used in special circumstances. For example, a student who has transferred a relevant course to the U of I but it was not applied to their degree audit can discuss substituting the relevant course with their faculty advisor. Substitutions and waivers should not be a solution to an academic issue that was avoidable.

Students should take care in planning their coursework to ensure they complete ALL courses required by their program’s accreditation. If it is necessary to request a substitution or waiver, the form should be initiated by the faculty advisor.

Does my curriculum accommodate study abroad opportunities?

Yes. Study Abroad is an enriching opportunity that should be pursued by interested students. While it is possible to study abroad and not add additional semesters to your undergraduate degree, it takes careful planning before the student leaves the country. All courses completed abroad that the student would like to apply towards their degree at U of I must be approved BEFORE the student goes abroad.

How would enrolling in Semester in the Wild, Semester on the Ranch, or Summer Camp effect my study plan?

Semester in the Wild, Semester on the Ranch or Summer Camp are all opportunities to enrich your education off campus. It is recommended that students develop a plan with their advisor to ensure these opportunities will not impact your anticipated graduation date. If done at an appropriate time in your degree plan, these opportunities allow students to get ahead in their studies and complete pre-requisites for upper-division courses earlier than what is planned on the degree checklists.

Are there any student clubs/organizations you would recommend I consider joining?

Yes. The CNR has over 15 affiliated clubs and organizations. Many of our degree programs have one or more related clubs. Ask your advisor or CNR professors for more information on CNR-affiliated clubs. Clubs are a great way to get involved on campus and with the college, while meeting and getting to know your peers.

How can I best begin exploring the internship, research, and summer employment opportunities related to my field?

Students are recommended to discuss internships, research, and summer employment opportunities with faculty in their major. CNR faculty are well-connected and can advise students on positions that align with their career goals. The bulletin board outside CNR Student Services also provides information to students on open internship and employment opportunities. If you are unsure where to start, ask your advisor for some recommendations on faculty or resources who could connect you with a position that reflects your interests.

What resources are available within the department, college, or U of I that can help me explore my career opportunities?

Students are encouraged to meet with faculty in their prospective field to discuss potential career opportunities. The U of I has a Career Services Center where students can meet with a career liaison to discover career opportunities, have their resume reviewed, and practice in mock interviews.

Contact Us

Forest, Rangeland and Fire Sciences

Physical Address:
975 W. 6th Street
Moscow, Idaho

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1133
Moscow, ID 83844-1133

Phone: 208-885-7952


Web: College of Natural Resources

google maps location