McClure Hall 405B
Department of Geography
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive, MS 3021
Moscow, ID 83844-3021
Research: Economic Geography, Urban Geography, Urban Planning, Environmental Planning, GIS, Spatial Analysis and Modeling
- Ph.D. The University of Utah, Geography, 2014
- M.Phil. The University of Hong Kong, Geography, 2008
- B.S. Sun Yat-sen University (China), Economic Geography & Planning, 2002
Dr. Haifeng (Felix) Liao is a broadly trained human geographer and a spatial social scientist whose research interests include regional development, globalization, urban sustainability, environmental planning, GIS, spatial analysis and modeling, and China.
- 2018-2021.United States Department of Agriculture. Agriculture and Food Research Initiative Fundamental Program. PI. Scaling up local fruit and vegetable production in the Inland Northwest: Overcoming constraints for sustainable agricultural development.
- 2016-2020. NSF. Innovations in Food-Water-Energy Nexus (INFEWS). Social-ecological-technological solutions to waste reuse in food, energy, and water systems (ReFEWS). Senior Personnel.
- 2014-2019. Serving local and regional markets in the Intermountain west: Identifying and overcoming constraints in a vast geography. $500,000. Co-I.
- 2015-2017. Idaho NSF-EPSCoR MILES, iSEED type I. Towards ONE Idaho: An investigation of social-ecological system boundaries and domains across MILES sites. Co-PI/Institutional PI.
- 2016-2017. United States Department of Transportation. Hazardous materials commodity flow in northern Idaho. PI. (Subcontract with Nez Perce Tribe, Idaho)
- 2015-2016. Idaho NSF-EPSCoR MILES, iSEED type II. A bibliometric analysis of the research on urban ecosystem services: frameworks, approaches, and geographical settings. PI.
- Regional Economic Analysis
- GIS Spatial Analysis
- Land Use
- Urban Planning
- Chinese Government Scholarship for Outstanding Self-financed Students Studying Abroad. 2014
- Travel Award, China Geography Specialty Group (CGSG), AAG. 2013
- Outstanding Student Research Award, Department of Geography, University of Utah. 2013
- Ashok K. Dutt Best Graduate Student Paper Award, Regional Development and Planning Specialty Group (RDPSG), AAG. 2012
- Travel Award, US Foreign Policy Colloquium, National Committee for US-China Relations. 2012
- Third Place Prize, College of Social and Behavioral Science (CSBS) Graduate Student Research Day Paper Competition, University of Utah. 2011