University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Research & Teaching Assistantships

All students admitted to the program are automatically considered for a research assistantship or teaching assistantship.

Research assistantships (RAs) are usually associated with grants supervised by individual faculty members and, when available, are typically offered to a prospective student by individual faculty members.

Teaching assistantships are offered by the department, upon recommendation by the department graduate admissions committee. Our department teaching assistantships are typically used to support graduate students who assist in teaching labs in introductory physical geography and courses in GIS and remote sensing. Funded students usually continue to receive their aid while in residence up to a maximum of two years (optional), if they make satisfactory progress toward the degree.

Other forms of aid, such as college scholarships, non-resident tuition waivers, work study, and research assistantships are available to some students and are granted by the appropriate committee or faculty member in each case. Applications for financial aid can be obtained from the Office of Student Financial Aid, and are to be submitted to that office.

Students receiving financial aid must be enrolled during each semester that they are receiving aid.


Department of Earth and Spatial Sciences

Physical Address:
McClure 201

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3021
Moscow ID, 83843-3021

Geography: 208-885-6216
Geology: 208-885-6192