ASUI Kibbie Activity Center
The iconic ASUI Kibbie Dome is a multi-use facility created and maintained for the benefit of the entire University of Idaho student body. In addition to being the home of the University of Idaho Athletic Department, the “Dome” is the annual site of hundreds of large and small campus events. From the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival to our annual campus Commencement ceremony, thousands of patrons visit the Dome each year.
The original football venue was called Neale Stadium and was opened in 1937 on the site where the Kibbie Dome currently stands. An arson fire in November 1969 completely destroyed the stadium, and the planning of the Kibbie Dome was started. The dome was completed in 1971 with a grass infield. However, only a year later, the original artificial turf was installed to allow for a covered stadium.
The Kibbie-ASUI Activity Center was named after William H. Kibbie, a former student who donated $300,000 towards the building of the facility. Kibbie, who only attended the University of Idaho for a few weeks in 1936, said this of the University: “It is a university in the classic and real sense of the word — and has maintained its position throughout the years as a leading institution of higher education. The enclosing of the stadium complex should serve to support and further the program of the university in all its aspects.”
In its day, the Kibbie Dome was considered an “Engineering Marvel.” The roof of the Kibbie Dome is constructed of laminated wood beams on a framework of tubular-shaped steel. These huge arches span a distance of 400 feet and at the center height are 144 feet from the surface of the turf. The roof was completed in 1975. In 1976, the Kibbie Dome roof won the "Structural Engineering Achievement Award" from the American Society of Civil Engineers.
In July 1981, $3.8 million was raised by the Athletic Department to start work on the East End addition. The addition houses offices, locker rooms, a weight room, equipment rooms and both men’s and women’s varsity locker rooms. The addition was completed in August 1982. The total cost of construction of the Kibbie Dome and the East End project was over $12 million.
In 2009, the Kibbie Dome received a major safety improvement along with aesthetic upgrades. The “Kibbie Life Safety Project” entailed the removal of both end walls and replacement with fire safe “Calwall” translucent panels. The project also funded a large number of smaller safety related projects. At the end of the two phases in August of 2011, the Kibbie Dome was a far safer and more appealing facility.
In October 2015, it was the 40th anniversary of the KIbbie Dome ribbon cutting.
If you are interested in scheduling an event in the Kibbie Dome, Please use our Online Event Request Form.
- About 150 Students work yearly for the Kibbie Dome
- The Dome seats up to 15,200 people.
- About 5 laps on the indoor track equals a mile & 4 laps on the Concourse Horseshoe is a mile
- The UI Ticket Office is located on the first floor at the east end. Its open from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.