University of Idaho Extension, Bingham County
412 W Pacific St
Blackfoot, ID 83221-2063
Programming efforts focus on beef cattle production with an emphasis on preparing cattle for the feed yard through preconditioning, beef quality assurance and general livestock production practices for 4-H youth.
M.S., University of Idaho, 2014
B.S., University of Idaho, 2011
A.A.S., Blue Mountain Community College, 2008
- Livestock (beef cattle)
- 4-H animal science projects
- Preconditioning beef calves
- Beef Quality Assurance
- Preparing the next generation of the cattle industry
- Willmore, C., Baker, S., Church, J. A., Small, M. 2020. Young Cattle Producers Conference Develops Leaders in Idaho. Journal of Extension.
- Small, M., R. Findlay and S. Nash. 2018. Learning the Importance of Livestock Quality Assurance Through Hands-on Training. Journal of the NACAA. 2158-9429.
- Small, M. et al. 2019. University of Idaho 4-H Youth Development Animal Science Lesson Plans Level 1: Common Livestock Breeds; Introduction to Reproduction. PNW 726.
- Small, M. 2018. BQA Guidelines for Preconditioning and Weaning. University of Idaho. Bul 928.
- Beef producers learn new management techniques
- Eastern Idaho swine camp provides youth with hands-on experience
- Livestock day camps increase industry understanding
- 2017 Idaho Young Cattle Producer Conference
- Meat quality camps help youth understand eating quality of livestock products
- Beef producers in eastern Idaho learn new management practices
- Workshop teaches consumers why beef should be what’s for dinner
- Bingham County collaborates to host range and pasture seminar for producers
Meranda Small was raised on a family farm in Grangeville, Idaho, where her family still resides, farming wheat and running a cow/calf operation. During her schooling at University of Idaho she worked as a research assistant on several livestock focused studies. While finishing her master's, she was selected for an extended internship position with Agri Beef Co. before accepting a position with UI Extension. She now works in Bingham County, where her focus is on beef production education for producers as well as animal science education for youth in 4-H.
- Small, M. Achievement in Service Award, National Association of Extension 4-H Professionals. State Winner, 2020
- Small, M., R. Findlay and S. Nash. Award for Excellence in Animal Science Programming, National Association of Extension 4-H Agents. Regional Winner, 2018