First-Year Undergraduate Advising
Faculty Advisor Transition Process
Civil Engineering majors work with a professional advisor through their first semester only. The professional advisor should notify students of their new faculty advisor assignment during their fall advising appointments. Official assignment of faculty advisors takes place in early March by the CEE Administrative Coordinator, who also sends an email to each student with information about their new advisor. Students meet with their new advisors in the spring advising period to register for the next fall.
If you have any questions about who your advisor is, it is listed in your Student Profile on VandalWeb. If no advisor is listed, please visit the CEE Office in Buchanan Engineering 102 or call 208-885-6782.
Work with our College of Engineering career advising liaison to best prepare for the career that’s right for you, including:
- Career exploration and the degree paths to get there
- Finding jobs, internships, and co-ops
- Tips for résumés, CVs, and cover letters
- Interview tips and preparation
- Salary and benefits negotiations
- Graduate school exploration
Career Services at the University of Idaho brings highly qualified Idaho students together with local, regional and national employers for internships, jobs and career experiences. Career Services are available to Idaho students and alumni for a lifetime.
Location: Idaho Student Union Building (ISUB), Room 334
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Drop-in Hours: Monday-Friday 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Career advising appointments can be made by calling Career Services at 208-885-6121 or in person at the Idaho Student Union Building (ISUB), Room 334.
Career Finder is designed to help you find a good career by providing the most current local data on wages, employment, job postings and associated education and training.
John C. Wahl thinkTANK Study Assistance
sponsored by the College of Engineering & Engineering Scholars
Visit the John C. Wahl thinkTANK (Janssen Engineering 128) for tutoring help with classes ranging from Computer Science, Chemistry, Math, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Statistics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, and more.
The John C. Wahl thinkTANK, located in the Janssen Engineering building across from the Dean's office, is a one stop shop for academic success. Learn more about our innovative engineering workspace.
To schedule a thinkTANK meeting room or use for an event email Kylie Sparks or call 208-885-6470.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Graduate & Professional Student Association (GPSA)
- Humanitarian Engineering Corps (HEC)
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE)
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Steel Bridge Club (AISC)
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society (TBP)
- Vandal Clean Energy Club
To request an exception to the academic requirements in the General Catalog due to extenuating circumstances that have contributed to your academic standing, class registration, or academic performance College of Engineering students may submit an Academic Petition. Below are the steps to submit an Academic Petition.
- Meet with your academic advisor to see if an Academic Petition is the appropriate course of action.
- Complete the Academic Petition form (PDF) and obtain supporting documentation or letter(s) of support. The Academic Petition form is also on the Office of the Registrar Forms page.
- Pay $10 fee to Student Accounts in the Pitman Center or by phone at 208-885-7447. Petition cannot be heard until the $10 fee has been paid.
- Drop off your Academic Petition with the form stamped as “paid” and any supporting documentation to College of Engineering Student Services in the Jansen Engineering Building (JEB), room 125 or via email at email@example.com.
- Petitions are discussed and approved or denied by the Academic Petitions Committee, composed of University of Idaho faculty members and administration. Petitions are normally heard on Thursday afternoons. Petitions should be submitted to the College of Engineering Student Services Office (JEB 125) by Wednesday at 9:00am before the Thursday that the University Academic Petitions Committee meets. After a petition has been presented, a college representative will send information to your VandalMail about the committee’s decision.
Please contact the College of Engineering Student Services team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 208-885-6470.