Take Action




Civil Engineering
Phone: (208) 885-6782
Toll-free: 88-88-UIDAHO
Fax: (208) 885-6608
Email: civilengr@uidaho.edu

Buchanan Engineering (BEL)
Room 102

875 Perimeter Drive MS 1022
Moscow, ID 83844-1022


Contact Denise Engebrecht
Phone: (208) 364-6123
Fax: (208) 364-3160
Email: denisee@uidaho.edu

Idaho Water Center
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702

Idaho Falls

Contact Debbie Caudle
Phone: (208) 282-7983
Fax: (208) 282-7929
Email: debrac@uidaho.edu

1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83402

Distance Education

Engineering Outreach
Phone: (208) 885-6373
Toll-free: (800) 824-2889
Fax: (208) 885-9249
E-mail: outreach@uidaho.edu


M.Engr. Civil Engineering

A thesis is not required for the Master of Engineering degree.

Course work requirements in the degree program are relatively flexible depending on student interest and course availability. Financial assistance is available on a competitive basis in the form of instructional and graduate research assistantships.

Graduate study is offered with specialization in structures and structural mechanics, highway and pavement materials, soil mechanics, transportation, hydraulics and water resources, geological engineering and sanitary engineering. Interdisciplinary programs of study are encouraged for interested students. As examples, students specializing in sanitary engineering may do considerable work in chemical engineering or biochemistry, and specialization in soil mechanics may involve study in geology or mining engineering.

Entrance requirements for the College of Graduate Studies apply. Foreign students must have a TOEFL score of at least 550 for admission to any departmental graduate degree program. Applicants for admission generally will have a B.S. degree in civil engineering. However, those with B.S. degrees in areas other than civil engineering are also eligible for admission.

Graduate degree applicants not holding B.S. degrees in civil engineering are required to show evidence of completing the following undergraduate coursework: mathematics through differential equations, and one semester each of chemistry, physics, and engineering statics. Once admitted, additional preparatory coursework will be determined by the student’s advisory committee and/or as prerequisites to courses listed in the student's study plan

Master of Engineering (M.Engr.) degree:
Candidates for graduate study must fulfill the requirements of the College of Graduate Studies and of the Department of Civil Engineering. See the College of Graduate Studies section (Part 4) of the University of Idaho Catalog. In addition, master's degree students are required to complete at least 12 credits of 500-level courses having a CE prefix, not including CE 500, 502, 503, 597, 598, and 599. Master's degree students are required to complete at least 12 credits in courses associated with one of the subdisciplines of civil engineering listed above. On their plan of study, candidates are restricted to a maximum of 6 credits of coursework with a grade of 'C'.

A minimum of 33 credits is required for the Master of Engineering degree. A thesis is not required and credit is not given for CE 500. A maximum of 3 credits of CE 502, Directed Study, can be used to satisfy M.Engr. degree requirements. M.Engr. students are required to demonstrate the ability to write a technical paper or report.