The Asian Studies minor combines language study with interdisciplinary coursework. 21 credits are required for the minor.
Please Direct your questions about the minor and advising to Jeff Kyong-McClain, the director of the Habib Institute for Asian Studies: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Three semesters of Asian Language study or one semester of Approved Study Abroad in Asia
- Courses from the following list may be selected. No no more than 6 in the student’s major. At least 9 credits of upper-division coursework required. At least 9 of the 21 credits must be UI coursed taken in residence. Credits earned through study abroad may be applied toward completion of the minor requirements.
- CHIN 202: Intermediate Chinese II (4 credits)
- CHIN 310: Advanced Chinese 1: Oral (3 credits)
- CHIN 312: Advanced Chinese 2: Reading and Translation (3 credits)
- CHIN 314: Advanced Chinese 3: Writing & Grammar (3 credits)
- FLEN 325: Contemporary Chinese Culture and Customs (3 credits)
- FLEN 326: Chinese Cinema in Translation (3 credits)
- FLEN 327: Chinese Literature in Translation (3 credits)
- FLEN 331: Japanese Anime (3 credits)
- HIST 180: Introduction to East Asian History (3 credits)
- HIST 482: Japan, 1600 to Present (3 credits)
- HIST 484: Modern China, 1840s to Present (3 credits)
- HIST 485: Chinese Social and Cultural History (3 credits)
- IS 325: Topics in Islamic Studies (3 credits)
- JAPN 202: Intermediate Japanese II (4 credits)
- JAPN 301: Japanese Reading (3 credits)
- JAPN 303: Japanese Speaking (3 credits)
- JAPN 305: Japanese Professional Culture (3 credits)
- PHIL 307/RELS 307: Buddhism (3 credits)
- POLS 420: Introduction to Asian Politics (3 credits)