Food & Farm Safety; Sustainability
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Potato Equipment and Storage Facilities, CIS 1180
- Cover crops for high-desert farming systems in Idaho, CIS 889
- Cull and Waste Potato Management, CIS 814
- Irrigation Uniformity, BUL 824
- Managing Foreign Material for Quality Idaho Potatoes, CIS 1104
- Nutrient Management Guidelines for Russet Burbank Potatoes, BUL 840
- Soil and Water Conservation Plan example (pdf)
- Seed and Planting Management (pgs 103-113) in Potato Production Systems (order)
- University of Idaho potato publications
- Water Measurement Calculator
Minimizing Foreign Material
Foreign material is any material that is not the potato tuber. It is "trash" or "garbage" in potatoes. Many foreign materials originate in the field, but others enter the product stream through equipment and during storage and handling. Whether potatoes are destined for the fresh market or processing, foreign material is a great concern to the Idaho potato industry.
Remove Foreign Materials poster: Download and print poster (16" x 24”) that provides examples of common foreign material found in potato production. Display the poster in areas to educate employees and as a reminder to remove foreign material.