Proposal Development Resources
Research & Faculty Development provides resources and information to assist faculty with developing quality, competitive proposals. Specifically, we are providing agency-specific document templates, proposal development checklists, agency guidelines, and other materials support the proposal development process.
RFD Proposal Development Checklists
- For opportunities with deadlines after May 25, 2020, and on or before January 24, 2022 use...
- For opportunities with deadlines on or after January 25, 2022, and before September 30, 2024 use...
Biosketch Form, Instructions and Samples
- Biosketch Form - Revised Oct. 2021; Approved through Sept. 30, 2024
- Biosketch NIH Instructions - Revised Oct. 2021
- Biosketch Sample - Revised Oct. 2021
- Biosketch FAQs - Revised Oct. 2021
- Biosketch UI SciENcv Instructions
- Biosketch UI ORCID Instructions
- Definitions of Criteria and Considerations for Research Project Grant Critiques (R01, R03, R21)
- Review Guidelines
- NIH Reviewer Orientation
- Find Funding Opportunities
- Find Funded Proposals and Relevant Institutes for Your Proposal Idea (RePORTER)
- RePORTER Instructions in “Developing Your First R01 Proposal” presentation (slide 15-16)
- NIH Grants Process: The Big Picture
- What Happens to your NIH Grant Application
- Top 10 NIH Peer Review Q&As
- Tip: Check for fit, before you submit!
Policy and Application Guides
- NIH Application Guide (Version Forms F, Effective May 25, 2020; Expires January 24, 2022)
- NIH Application Guide (Version Forms G, Effective January 25, 2022)
- Annotated Forms for Forms-F Series - Expires January 24, 2022
- Annotated Forms for Forms-G Series - For due dates on/after January 25, 2022
- NIH Grants Policy & Compliance
Grant Program Guides
- NIH Guide to Grants (getting started, process overview, resources)
- Comparing Popular Research Project Grants: R01, R03, or R21
- Comparing Funding Opportunity by Clinical Trial Allowability
- Clinical Trials
NSF Faculty Early Career Development Program (NSF CAREER)
Visit the NSF CAREER Resources Center for access to informative videos and procedural checklist, along with event and activity announcements.
NSF Proposal Development Resources
- National Science Foundation Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) – Effective October 4, 2021
- NSF Proposal Checklist - Effective October 4, 2021
- FAQs on NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG)
- NSF Biosketch Guidance and Instructions
- NSF Current & Pending Form Guidance and Instructions
- FAQs on using SciENcv for Biosketch and Current & Pending Support forms
- FAQs on using NSF fillable PDF for Biosketch and Current & Pending Support forms
- RFD Faculty Success Seminar- SciENcv: What, Why, How: A tool for creating and updating Biosketches and Current & Pending Support Form
As part of its proposal review process, the National Science Foundation requires that all proposals substantially address the broader impact (BI) of the proposed research. The Broader Impacts Resource Center can help you address this important merit review criterion.
- New Faculty Guide to Competing for Research Funding 2nd Edition (PDF)
Mike Cronan and Lucy Deckard
© 2016 Academic Research Funding Strategies, LLC