Extension Educator, Community Food Systems
University of Idaho Extension, Teton County
150 Courthouse Dr., #208
Driggs, ID 83422
Jennifer provides educational programs associated with enhancing local agriculture, community food systems and 4-H youth development. Her interests include healthy seasonal cooking, gardening, season extension, food security and permaculture design.
M.S., University of Idaho, 2006
B.A., Colorado State University, 2002
- Community food systems
- Small farms
- Community development
- Hamilton, M., J. Werlin, K. Boone, and Austin, G. 2022. An introduction to season extension for high-altitude, short-season gardens. BUL 936. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JIY3wHvQY6CzrJ3il4AVxBKvjsgIFWVV/view?usp=sharing
- Werlin, J.,A. West, R. Findlay, and N. Ghimire. 2020. Using hybrid learning to grow the Idaho Master Gardener Program and adapt to the COVID-19 environment. Journal of National Association of County Agricultural Agents. No.41148. https://www.nacaa.com/journal/index.php?jid=1148.
- Boone, K. and J. Werlin. 2021. Planning water access for small acreage irrigators. University of Idaho Extension. BUL 1002.
- Werlin, J., L. Golden, and C. DePhelps. 2021. A guide to developing food coalitions and policy councils in Idaho. University of Idaho Extension. BUL 995. https://www.extension.uidaho.edu/publishing/html/BUL995-Guide-to-Developing-Food-Coalitions-and-Policy-Councils.aspx.
- Mayes, I., A. Agenbroad, J. Werlin, and S. Graf. 2019. Sustainable small acreage farming in Idaho: finding and evaluating land. University of Idaho Extension. BUL 932. https://www.extension.uidaho.edu/publishing/html/BUL932-Sustainable-Small-Acreage-Farming.aspx.
- UI Extension in Teton County spearheads agritourism in the Tetons project
- Teton county 4-H helps serve community needs through new STEAM offerings
- Growing the master gardener program using hybrid online/in-person learning
- Strengthening the Teton area food system through the Teton Food and Farm Coalition
- Werlin, J. Early Career Award, Epsilon Sigma Phi, State Winner, 2021.
- Werlin, J. Visionary Leadership, Epsilon Sigma Phi, State Winner, 2021.
- Werlin, J. Personal Column Communication Award, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, Western Region Finalist, First Place State Winner, 2020.
- Mayes, I., A. Agenbroad, C. DePhelps, L. Golden, M. Hamilton, J. Jensen, S. Newman, K. Painter, and J. Werlin. Excellence in Teamwork Award, Cultivating Success Idaho, National Association of Natural Resource and Community Development Extension Professionals, National Runner Up, First Place Western Regional, First Place State Winner, 2019.
- Werlin, J. Personal Column Communications Award, Idaho Association of County Agricultural Agents, First Place State Winner, 2019.
- Agenbroad, A., C. DePhelps, L. Golden, M. Hamilton, J. Jensen, I. Mayes, S. Newman, S., K. Painter, R. Ruiz, A. Snyder, E. Stachowski, J. Werlin, C. Williams, and M. Young. Learning Module for Starting your Sustainable Small Farm, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, National Winner, First Place Western Regional, First Place State Winner, 2018.
- Werlin, J. and D. Self. National Network for Sustainable Living Education Poster Award for “Building rural social capital, community food system resilience, and economic development opportunities through the Teton Valley Kitchen Incubator,” Community Development Society/National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals Conference, Big Sky, Montana, National Green Ribbon Sustainability Award, 2017.