Area Extension Educator — Forestry
Chris provides workshops, short courses, field days, publications, videos and other learning opportunities on applied forest ecology and silviculture for family forest owners, loggers and professional foresters.
M.S., Washington State University, 1989
M.A., Washington State University, 1987
B.S., Iowa State University, 1982
- Forest ecology
- Adult and continuing education
- Family forest owners
- Qualitative research methods
- Schnepf, C.C. and J. Schwandt. 2016 (revised). Pruning Western White Pine: A Vital Tool for Species Restoration. PNW 584. University of Idaho Extension, Moscow, ID. 62 pp.
- Barkley, Y. R. Brooks, R. Keefe, M. Kimsey, A. McFarland, and C. Schnepf. 2015. Idaho Forestry Best Management Practices Field Guide: Using BMPs to Protect Water Quality. Bulletin 891. University of Idaho Extension, Moscow, ID. 158 pp.
- Schnepf, C.C. (project developer, writer, producer and videographer) and D. Tong (videographer, editor, post producer). 2015. Forest Water Quality (Part I — Keeping Water Clean and Part 2 — The Idaho Forest Practice Act). University of Idaho Extension, Moscow, ID, 38 minutes.
- Zobrist, K.W., D. P. Hanley, A.T. Grotta, and C.C. Schnepf. 2012. Basic Forest Inventory Techniques for Family Forest Owners. PNW 630. Pacific Northwest Extension Publication. Washington State University Cooperative Extension. Pullman, 76 pp.
- Brooks, R. A, McFarland, and C. Schnepf. 2011. Grass Seeding Forest Roads, Skid Trails, and Landings in the Inland Northwest. PNW 628. Pacific Northwest Extension Publication. University of Idaho Extension, Moscow, ID. 8p.
- Bennett, M., S. Fitzgerald, B. Parker, M. Main, A. Perleberg, C. Schnepf, and R. Mahoney. 2010. Reducing Fire Risk on Your Property. PNW 618. Pacific Northwest Extension Publication. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 40pp.
- Schnepf, C.C., R. T. Graham, S. Kegley, and T. Jain. 2009. Managing Organic Debris for Forest Health: Reconciling Fire Hazard, Bark Beetles, Wildlife and Forest Nutrition Needs. PNW 609. University of Idaho Extension, Moscow, ID. 60 pp.
- Barkley, Y. C., C.C. Schnepf, and J.D. Cohen. 2005. Protecting and Landscaping Homes in the Wildland/Urban Interface 2004 by: University of Idaho Extension. Idaho Forest, Wildlife and Range Experiment Station Bulletin No. 67. University of Idaho Extension, Moscow, ID. 22 pp.
- Schnepf, C.C. 1999. Logging "Selectively": A Practical Pocket Guide to Partial Timber Harvesting. PNW 534. University of Idaho Cooperative Extension System, Moscow, ID. 96 pp.
- Schnepf, C.C. (project developer/producer, scriptwriter), C.C. Brotherton (producer/director). 1995. I Want to Log "Selectively" — A Practical Guide to Partial Timber Harvesting for Inland Northwest Forest Owners and Logging Operators. University of Idaho Agricultural Communications Center, Moscow, ID, 40 minutes.
Chris Schnepf is a professor and area Extension educator in forestry with the University of Idaho. Schnepf provides a variety of workshops, short courses, field days, publications, videos and other learning opportunities on applied forest ecology and silviculture for family forest owners, loggers, and professional foresters throughout the Idaho panhandle.
Schnepf received his bachelor’s in forestry and environmental studies from Iowa State University, and a master’s in both forest and range management and in adult and continuing education from Washington State University.
Schnepf is a Fellow in the Society of American Foresters (SAF) and currently serves on the board. He is also member of the Association of Natural Resource Extension Professionals (ANREP). He has written many Extension publications and articles for the popular press, and has produced an award-winning publication and video on selective timber harvesting.
- Fellow, Society of American Foresters, 2021.
- Schnepf, C.C. 2019. Technology Transfer Award. Society of American Foresters.
- Schnepf, C.C. and D. Tong 2016. ANREP Bronze Award for Televised Conference - Video Conference-Webinar - Podcast – Radio: Forest Water Quality Instructional Video.
- Brooks, R.H., Y. Barkley, R. Mahoney and C. Schnepf. 2010. ANREP Gold Award for Career Leadership for “Strengthening Forest Stewardship Skills."
- Inland Empire Society of American Foresters Communicator of the Year. 2007
- University of Idaho Faculty Award for Excellence in Outreach. 2001
- ANREP Educational Materials Awards Program – Long Publication: Gold award for “Logging Selectively." 2001
- Forestry Communications Award: Best Forestry Video (for “I Want to Log Selectively”), National Woodland Owners Association/CSREES, 1996