4-H reaches every county in Idaho through University of Idaho Extension.
With more than 36,000 members and 4,000 volunteers statewide, 4-H helps youths move Idaho, America and the world forward in ways that no other youth organization can.
Members learn life skills, make new friends, enhance self-esteem, achieve personal goals, develop positive relationships with peers and volunteers and have fun learning and sharing as a family and a club.
The Study of 4-H Positive Youth Development shows 4-H youths outperform their peers in:
- Earning higher grades
- Attending college
- Contributing to their communities
Research specific to Idaho youths shows that 4-H members are:
- Far less likely to engage in risky negative behaviors
- More likely to do service projects to help others
- More likely to seek school and community leadership roles
- More willing to talk to parents about issues
County-based 4-H programs combine professionals from the University of Idaho with a unique partnership based on county, state and federal funds.
Funding from individuals, businesses and organizations provides support for special events, awards and educational materials.
I pledge my HEAD to clearer thinking,
My HEART to greater loyalty,
My HANDS to larger service,
And my HEALTH to better living,
For my club, my community, my country and my world.
- Head stands for decision making, planning, organizing, problem solving and using knowledge throughout life.
- Heart stands for strong personal values, positive self-concept, concern for others, cooperation and communication.
- Hands stands for volunteering, community service, preparing for the world of work, science and technology literacy and useful skills.
- Health stands for healthy lifestyles, character, ethics, stress management and disease prevention.
Green represents life, growth and youth. White symbolizes purity and high ideals.
“To Make the Best Better”
The 4-H motto encourages each member to do his or her best and improve the next time, so his or her “best” becomes “better.” Members stretch their abilities and capacities to reach their full potential.
“Learn By Doing”
The 4-H philosophy is to provide youth with a hands-on experience to enhance learning.