HEAL Idaho: Healthy Eating, Active Living
Healthy Eating Active Living (HEAL) Idaho is a network of partners committed to creating an environment where all Idahoans have access to healthy food options and opportunities to be physically active.
Idaho 4-H is addressing these HEAL Idaho goals:
- Increase the availability and consumption of low-calorie, nutrient dense foods and beverages
- Decrease the availability and consumption of less healthy foods and beverages
- Increase physical activity among children and adults to meet recommended guidelines
- Increase the quality and quantity of physical education and activity opportunities in all schools and childcare settings
- Decrease sedentary screen-time (e.g. television, gaming systems and computers) among all Idahoans
28 percent of Idaho children ages 10 to 17 are overweight or obese. 55 percent of Idaho high school students do not meet recommended physical activity levels. Most elementary schools do not track total PE time. Although schools have reduced junk food in vending machines, more work is needed.