Sunil Sharma, Ph.D., P.E.
Sunil Sharma, Ph.D., P.E.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1986
- M.S.C.E., Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1980
- B.Sc., Civil Engineering, University of Leeds, 1975
Sunil Sharma has been a faculty member at the University of Idaho since 1986 and teaches courses in geotechnical engineering at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. He also regularly teaches a two-day short-course, “Soil and Rock Slope Stability”, for ASCE. His research interests focus on stability of slopes, engineering properties of soil, and computer applications. As a member of several ASCE and TRB committees, he is actively engaged with the civil engineering profession, which allows him to include details of engineering practice into all his courses.
- Computer applications in civil engineering
- Engineering behavior of saturated and unsaturated soils
- Stability of slopes and excavations
- Geotechnical and earthquake engineering applications
- Groundwater and seepage in soils
- Development of an interactive, undergraduate Geotechnical Laboratory module using computer multimedia
- Preparation of a CD-ROM based, interactive Micropile Manual for the Federal Highways
- Evaluation, comparison, and correlation between the Idaho IT-144 and AASHTO T-84 methods for determining the Specific Gravity and Absorption properties of fine aggregate, Idaho Transportation Department, 2016 – 2017.
- Career Launch in Engineering Scholarship Program, NSF, 2015 – 2020.
- Review of Non-nuclear Density Gauges as a Possible Replacement for ITD’s Current Nuclear Density Gauges, Idaho Transportation Department, 2011 – 2013.
- Wen, H., Rose, M., Timm, A., and Sharma, S. (2015). Review of Non-Nuclear Density Gauges as Possible Replacements for ITD’s Nuclear Density Gauges, Report RP 210, Idaho Transportation Department Research Program, 150 pages, January.
- Rose, M, Wen, H., and Sharma, S. (2014). Evaluation of Non-Nuclear Density Gauges for Measuring In-Place Density of Soils and Base Materials, 93rd Annual TRB Meeting, Washington DC, January 11 – 16, Conference CD.
- Daggett, A. and Sharma, S. (2013), A Numerical Study of Displacements in Pile-Reinforced Slopes, Proc., ASCE GeoCongress, San Diego, CA, March.
- Timm, A., Wen, H., and Sharma. S. (2013). Evaluation of Non-Nuclear Density Gauges for Measuring In-place Density of Hot Mix Asphalt in Idaho, Proc., CD-ROM, 92nd Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C., January.
- Sharma, S. (2011), Teaching Retaining Wall Design with Case Histories, ASCE GeoFrontiers Conference, Dallas, TX, March 13-16, 2011, pp. 2877-2886.
- Sharma, S. (2007). Slope Stability Assessment using Limit Equilibrium Methods, Proc., First North American Conference on Landslides, Vail, CO, June 3 – 8, 22 pages.
- Abramson, L.W., Lee, T.S., Sharma, S. and Boyce, G.M. (2001). Slope Stability and Stabilization Methods, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (Pub.), New York, New York, Second Edition, 712 pages.
- Sharma, S. (2000). Developing Computer Based Instruction for Geotechnical Education, Proc., 1st International Conf. on Geotechnical Engineering Education and Training, Sinaia, Romania, June 12-14, Balkema (Pub.), ISBN 90 5809 1546, pp. 47 - 62.
- Armour, T., Groneyk, P., Keeley, J. and Sharma, S. (2000). Micropile Design and Construction Guidelines, Federal Highway Administration, FHWA – SA – 97 – 070, 382 pages, June.