Cate A. Egan Loiacono, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Physical Education, Program Coordinator, Director of the Physical Activity Pedagogy Laboratory, Exercise, Sport, and Health Sciences
- Ph.D., University of South Carolina, Physical Education, emphasis in Pedagogy
- M.S., University of Wisconsin La Crosse, Physical Education Pedagogy, emphasis in Adventure Education, 2011
- B.S., Appalachian State University, Recreation Management, 2005
- Judy Rink Fellowship Award for Excellence in Teaching and Research
Cate Egan, Ph.D., earned her doctorate degree in Physical Education Pedagogy from the University of South Carolina. Her research interests include public-health aligned physical education, comprehensive school physical activity programming, and the Whole School, Whole Community, and Whole Child approaches to increasing physical activity and reducing sedentary time in youth populations.
Egan is native of Georgia and started her career working in the residential camping industry before shifting her focus to physical education instruction. She taught physical education in Minnesota and South Carolina before pursuing her terminal degree.
Whole School, Whole Community, and Whole Child Approaches specifically within:
- Comprehensive School Physical Activity Programs
- Quality Physical Education
- Physical activity promotion
- Motor skill promotion
- Classroom based physical activity promotion
- Webster, C. A., Stodden, D. F., Carson, R. L., Egan, C.A., & Nesbitt, D. (2016). Integrative public health-aligned physical education and implications for the professional preparation of future teachers and teacher educators/researchers in the field. Quest, 68(4), 457-474
- Russ, L. B., Webster, C. A., Beets, M. W., Egan, C.A., Weaver, R. G., Harvey, R., & Phillips, D. S. (2016). Development of the System for Observing Student Movement in Academic Routines and Transitions (SOSMART). Health Education & Behavior, 1090198116657778
- Webster, C. A., Nesbitt, D., Lee, H., & Egan, C.A. (in press). Preservice physical education teachers’ service learning experiences related to comprehensive school physical activity programming. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education.
- Weaver, R.G., Webster, C. A., Egan, C.A., Campos, C.M.C., Michael, R.D., & Vazou, S. (in press) Partnerships for Active Children in Elementary Schools: Outcomes of a Two-Year Pilot Study to Increase Physical Activity During the School Day. American Journal of Health Promotion.
- Weaver, R.G., Webster, C. A., Egan, C.A., Campos, C.M.C., Michael, R.D., Crimarco, A. (in press) Physical Education Outcomes After Four Months of a Two-Year Pilot Study to Increase Physical Activity During School. Health Education Journal.
- Egan, C.A. & Webster, C.A., (in press). Using Theory to Support Classroom Teachers as Physical Activity Promoters. Journal of Physical Education Recreation and Dance.
- Cate A. Egan CV pdf