Exercise Physiology Research Laboratory
The Exercise Physiology Research Laboratory, developed and directed by Chantal Vella, PhD, FACSM, is the applied Exercise, Sport, and Health Sciences research facility for the Department of Movement Sciences. The laboratory is a collaborative research space with faculty from Movement Sciences, as well as undergraduate and graduate students from exercise, sport, and health sciences, nutrition and the WWAMI Medical Education programs.
The Exercise Physiology Research Laboratory is unique at the University of Idaho in its focus on applied exercise physiology and human performance. The research focus of this laboratory is to understand the effects of physical activity and sedentary behavior on different parameters of health and performance across the lifespan, including but not limited to cardiorespiratory fitness, body composition, vascular function, cardiac function, inflammation, insulin resistance and cardiometabolic disease risk factors.
The laboratory is located in the Physical Education Building (PEB) next to the Integrated Sports Medicine Movement Analysis Laboratory (ISMMAL).
This applied research space features state-of-the-art equipment including:
- Multiple workstations equipped with computers for use by research assistants (undergraduate/graduate) and faculty members
- Actigraph GT3X+ accelerometers and ActiLife Software
- Parvo Medics True One 2400 Metabolic measurement system
- PhysioFlow non-invasive hemodynamic monitor that provides continuous, accurate and reproducible measurements of cardiac output and other parameters of cardiac function
- BOD POD® Gold Standard for the accurate measurement of body composition
- Blood draw and assay equipment including an Eppendorf refrigerated centrifuge and New Brunswick Scientific ultra-low temperature freezer
- Alere Cholestech LDX Analyzer for the measurement of blood glucose and lipids
- DCA Vantage Analyzer for the measurement of hemoglobin A1c
- Seca 703 Column Medical Scale with Height Rod
- Cycle ergometers
- Anthropometric measurement devices
- Skinfold calipers
Body Composition Testing Service
We can accurately measure your body composition in the laboratory with a state-of-the-art body composition system that is safe and easy. The BOD POD® Gold Standard uses whole body air plethysmography (i.e., air displacement) to accurately measure your fat and lean tissues in addition to estimating resting metabolic rate and total energy expenditure. For more information and rates, call 208-885-2007 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Discounts are available for groups.