Hazardous Waste Management
What services do we provide?
Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) strives to provide quick, professional hazardous waste services to the university community. Services provided include collecting generated hazardous chemicals/waste from satellite accumulation areas, hazardous and universal waste management consultations, used oil collection and recycling, PCB ballast disposal and more.
EHS provides the following services free of charge:
- Routine chemical waste collection
- Guidance on managing hazardous chemicals and waste, etc.
- Spill response to incidents involving hazardous waste/materials
- Training through Hazardous Waste Management Workshops
The following are situations where EHS may charge back for services provided:
- The processing and disposal of unknown waste
- The disposal of waste that proves to be extremely costly
- Any monetary fine resulting from a DEQ notice of violation
- Analyses that may be required to properly characterize/classify waste
Contact EHS for free consultation involving the management of hazardous and other wastes at 208-885-6524 or email@example.com.
What is your role?
All university faculty, staff and students are responsible for complying with the guidelines and procedures of the university policy. Individuals must properly identify, characterize, and prepare their materials for collection and disposal by EHS personnel. Specifically, individuals using hazardous materials must accurately identify and label all materials; accumulate and store materials safely; and request collection of the material by submitting electronic disposal requests to EHS. Every possible effort to minimize the quantity or toxicity of hazardous waste generated must be made by each individual generator by following the waste minimization guidelines provided in this policy. It is the responsibility of all supervisors and instructors to ensure that employees, students, guests and visitors are aware of and follow the guidelines and procedures of this policy.
- Environmental Waste Awareness Training for Custodians
- Environmental Waste Awareness Training for Shops and Maintenance
- Hazardous Waste Management Workshop for Laboratory Operations
- Hazardous Waste Management Workshop for Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQG)
For more information
Hazardous Materials Specialist
Hazardous Materials Technician