The Testing Center offers proctoring for the following placement exams for U of I students and community members.
ALEKS PPL Assessment
ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (ALEKS PPL) is a web-based program that uses artificial intelligence to map a student’s strengths and weaknesses and then offer individualized prep and learning modules to refresh their knowledge on forgotten topics. It consists of three parts:
- An initial placement assessment designed to determine what a student knows and what a student needs to work on
- The prep and learning module, an individualized, self-paced online review based on the results of the initial placement assessment
- Access to 1-4 additional placement assessments that can be used as practice tests (unproctored) or for actual placement (proctored) in the appropriate math course.
ALEKS PPL assessments cost $20 to create an account for U of I students and $15 for proctoring at the Testing Center for a total cost of $35. For an assessment to be used to determine placement, it must be proctored in an approved Testing Center.
To schedule an appointment:
- You will need to create an account and purchase access to ALEKS PPL. Credit card information is required to pay the $20 account fee for U of I students, which provides access to ALEKS PPL for twelve months.
Create a new account or sign into an existing ALEKS PPL account with your U of I username and password.
- Once you have created and paid for your ALEKS account, you can schedule with the Testing Center to take the Proctored Assessment, which will be used to determine your math placement. The CTC proctor fee is $15.
Schedule an appointment.
Note: We do not schedule appointments for ALEKS through phone or email.
After completing the Proctored Assessment, use your results to determine which class you are able to register for.
CLEP (College Level Examination Program) is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program in the United States today, helping students of all ages earn college degrees faster by getting credit for what they already know.
You can earn from three to eight college credits toward your college degree by earning a satisfactory score for each CLEP you take, depending on the exam subject. Results are available immediately.
To schedule an appointment:
- Register through CLEP and pay their fee (currently $89).
- Once you receive confirmation and have a Ticket ID number, schedule an appointment with the Testing Center.
Testing Center Proctor fee is $25 for U of I students;$35 for non-U of I students.
Note: We do not schedule appointments for CLEP through phone or email.
Avant PLACE Exams
Avant PLACE is a computer delivered placement exam used by U of I Modern Languages and Cultures. Exams are available in Spanish, French, German, Chinese and Japanese languages. While there is no time limit, you are given two hours with your $25 fee. Any time past two hours will be at the proctoring rate of $7.50/half hour. Most complete the exam in less than an hour and results are available with several days.
For information regarding this requirement or for cut scores needed for placement, contact the Modern Languages and Cultures department at 208-885-6179 or email@example.com.
Note: We do not schedule appointments for Avant PLACE through phone or email.