University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Guard & Reserve

First Steps

  1. Apply for U of I admission.
  2. Determine whether you are an in-state or out-of-state resident
    • All National Guard students are considered Idaho residents as long as they are serving in Idaho.
  3. Transfer military and other institutional transcripts.
  4. Visit Financial Aid
  5. Obtain Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
    • If you have graduated from basic training or AIT within approximately the last 3 months, then the VA may not be able to verify your eligibility. If this is your situation, have your unit provide you with the Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). Once this form is obtained you can submit it with the VONAPP or it can be sent separately to the VA if necessary. View sample NOBE (PDF).

Apply for VA Educational Benefits on

This will take up to six weeks. Plan accordingly.

Our office highly recommends students set up direct deposit. You will need your bank account information, including routing number and your account number.

Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA, please ensure the Military and Veterans Services Office receives a copy. We cannot process your VA Educational Benefits without proof of your COE.

Schedule VA Educational Benefits Orientation

Please contact the Military and Veteran Services Office to set up an orientation meeting by emailing or calling 208-885-7989 or 208-885-7979.

Tuition Assistance (TA)

Due to recent U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) changes, GI Bill® Chapter 1606 may not be used in conjunction with federal tuition assistance. There are two kinds of TA: Federal and state. State TA is called State Education Assistance Program (SEAP). Federal TA can’t be used for the same classes as Chapter 1606 is used, but state TA (SEAP) can be used with Chapter 1606 benefits.

Students must email Christina Taylor in Student Accounts to set up federal tuition assistance. There are several steps in the process.

Financial Resources by Chapter

Students must submit a GI Bill® Certification Request after registering for classes each semester.

Benefits vary depending on the chapter students are using. Find details about your chapter below.

The Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve, otherwise known as Chapter 1606, provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Reserves, and the Army and Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by Selected Reserve components, and VA submits payments.

This benefit is paid to students monthly.

Enrollment Verification Requirement

Chapter 1606 recipients are required to verify university enrollment on the 30th of each month to receive payments.

To verify enrollment:

  • Use Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) – This method is preferred.
  • Or call 877-823-2378 on the 30th of each month. You will need to provide your VA File # (SSN) and the zip code of the address you have on file with the VA. You may only call in if there have been no changes to your enrollment since your certification (i.e. change in credits).

GI Bill® Certification Requirement

All students must complete the online GI Bill® Certification Request form after registering for classes each semester.

Other Requirements

  • All classes must fulfill a degree requirement as shown on your degree audit on VandalWeb.
  • Free electives aren't restricted, but students must concentrate on required courses

Isakson and Roe Act

Law prevents state colleges or universities from charging veterans out-of-state tuition.

Learn More

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Contact Us

LLC Bldg. #3

Physical Address:
901 Paradise Creek St.
LLC Bldg. #3
Moscow, ID 83844

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1252
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1252

Office Hours
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday

Phone: 208-885-7989

Fax: 208-885-9494


Military and Veterans Services Office

Jason M. Nierman, Lieutenant Colonel (Ret.), USA

Physical Address:
Bruce Pitman Center, SEM Suite, 139

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4259
Moscow, Idaho 83844-4259

Phone: 208-885-7979/6229

Fax: 208-885-9494