Brian Small, Ph.D.
Professor of Fish Physiology, Director of the Hagerman Fish Culture Experiment Station
Hagerman Fish Culture Experiment Station
208-837-9096 ext. 1108
- 1998 Ph.D. Fish Nutrition/Physiology/Aquaculture, University of Maryland
- 1992 B.A. Marine Science and Chemistry, Kutztown University
Physiology and nutrition of aquacultured and wild fishes
Find out more about how to support my research and the Sustainable Aquaculture Research.
Small, B.C., S. Quiniou, H. Kaiya, J.W. Bledsoe and B. Musungu. 2019 Characterization of a third ghrelin receptor, GHS-R3a, in channel catfish reveals novel expression patterns and a high affinity for homologous ligand. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. 229:1-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.cbpa.2018.11.013
Paul, J. and B.C. Small. 2019. Exposure to environmentally relevant cadmium concentrations negatively impacts early life stages of channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. C. 216:43-51. DOI: 10.1016/j.cbpc.2018.11.004
Bledsoe J.W., G.C. Waldbieser, K.S. Swanson, B.C. Peterson, and B.C. Small. 2018. Shared environment overcomes host genetic differences in shaping the gut microbiota of distinct fish strains within two species of ictalurid catfish. Frontiers in Microbiology 9:1073. DOI: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.01073
Schroeter, J.C., B.C. Peterson, J.W. Bledsoe, M. Li, and B.C. Small. 2018. Targeted gene panels and microbiota analysis provide insight into the effects of effects of alternative production diet formulations on channel catfish nutritional physiology. Aquaculture. 489:46-55. DOI: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2018.02.004
Henderson, D.W. and B.C. Small. 2018. Rapid acclimation of the cortisol stress response in adult turquoise killifish Nothobranchius furzeri. Laboratory Animals. DOI: 10.1177/0023677218793441
Small, B.C. and S.M.A. Quiniou. 2018. Characterization of two channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus, glucocorticoid receptors and expression following an acute stressor. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. 216:42-51. DOI: 10.1016/j.cbpa.2017.11.011
Small, B.C. and L.C. Woods, III. 2018. Current state and prospects for hybrid striped bass production in the United States. Pages 284-312. In: World Perch and Bass Culture: Innovation and Industrialization (Liang, X.F., H.P. Wang, H. Liu and R.W. Hardy Ed.). ISBN 978-7-03-053873-4. China Science Press. Beijing. (book chapter).
Pali, M., J.E. Garvey, B.C. Small, and I.I. Suni. 2017. Detection of Fish Hormones by Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy and Quartz Crystal Microbalance. Sensing and Bio-Sensing Research. 13:1-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.sbsr.2017.01.001
Bledsoe, J.W., B.C. Peterson, K.S. Swanson, and B.C. Small. 2016. Ontogenetic Characterization of the Intestinal Microbiota of Channel Catfish Through 16S rRNA Gene Sequencing Reveals Insights on Temporal Shifts and the Influence of Environmental Microbes. PLoS ONE 11(11): e0166379. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0166379
Small, B.C., R.W. Hardy, and C.S. Tucker. 2016. Enhancing Fish Performance in Aquaculture. Animal Frontiers. 6(4):42-49. DOI: 10.2527/af.2016-0043
- Gary L. Minish Outstanding Advisor/Mentor Award, Southern Illinois University (2015)
- CURCA (Center for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities) Faculty Mentor Award of Excellence, Southern Illinois University (2015)
- Early Career Faculty Excellence Award, College of Agricultural Sciences, Southern Illinois University (2014)
- Congressional Legion of Honor award, International Congress on the Biology of Fish, Edinburgh, Scotland (2014)
- Distinguished Early Career Award in U.S. Aquaculture, United States Aquaculture Society, A Chapter of the World Aquaculture Society (2007)
- Early Career Research Scientist Award, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service (2006)