The Ubuntu Committee meets monthly to work on projects within its charge and mission.
- Drafting an Anti-Bullying policy for faculty and staff
- Monitoring disability access and enforcement of the ADA
- Monitoring various UI policies and contracts to measure their reflection of our diversity values
- Exploring diversity training for colleges and units
- Created a Resolution on Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice that was adopted by the Faculty Senate on 10/28/2020.
- With Faculty Senate and Staff Council Leadership, the Chairs of Ubuntu, Jan Johnson and Kristin Haltinner, wrote a letter to President Scott Green unequivocally condemning police brutality and systemic racism, dated June 3, 2020.
- Initiated work on a "Preferred Names" project with the Administration and Registrar's Office to allow transgender and other students to use their preferred names for UI accounts such as Bblearn.
- Advised Auxiliary Services on diversity contract language for campus vendors and increased the awareness that vendors are expected to ascribe to UI values of respect, diversity and inclusion.
- Offered to assist University Communications and Marketing in creating culturally sensitive and timely marketing and communications.
- Advocating for benefits for same-sex couples
- Establishing the MLK Art and Essay Contest
- Reviewing disability accommodation policies
- Supporting the need for more campus lactation rooms and gender inclusive restrooms
We Welcome Feedback
If you have an issue of concern the Ubuntu Committee should address, email committee chair Jan Johnson at email@example.com.
Issues raised will first be discussed with the chair and, if appropriate, the committee as a whole. Please feel encouraged and welcomed to raise any and all matters to the chair that fall within the function of the Ubuntu Committee.