College of Science Student Services
Our mission statement: We support student success by assisting with academic concerns, providing effective academic guidance, and connecting students with tools and resources that can empower them to achieve their educational and personal goals.
The College of Science Student Services personnel are always willing to help you find answers to questions or to help with any issue you encounter.
Feel free to call, email, or drop by anytime.
Mark Nielsen, Associate Dean
Location: Mines Building, room 321
Roopal Jani, Director of Student Services and Stakeholder Engagement
Location: Mines Building, Room 314
Spencer McKay, Academic Advisor (Biology, Microbiology, and Medical Sciences majors)
Location: Mines Building, room 312
Lisa Belles, Academic Advisor (all other majors)
Location: Mines Building, room 310
Bethany Laney, Career Advising
Location: Mines Building room 323 (schedule appointment on VandalStar)
Natalie Burden, U of I Pre-Health Program Coordinator
Location: Idaho Student Union Building, room 304
Ensuring Your Academic Success
To ensure academic success, we highly recommend these activities:
- Attend class. Students who attend class and engage with the instructor are more likely to succeed in their coursework.
- For each credit you are taking, study a minimum of 2 hours every week. (For instance, if you are in 15 credits, you should spend at least 30 hours each week on homework, reviewing notes, etc.) You should make use of tutoring and other campus resources during your study time.
- Meet with your advisor on a consistent basis. Your advisor is listed on your Degree Audit in your VandalWeb or you can find an advisor for any major. You should also learn to use the “What If” feature in your Degree Audit to view your progress toward ANY major or minor.
- Read your Vandal Email daily to stay informed and learn about important opportunities.
- Get involved outside of class. We have many clubs and organizations that cater to the interests of science students.
College of Science Emergency Fund
If you are experiencing altered financial circumstances that are impacting your ability to continue your studies at the U of I, please contact the College of Science (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance. We have an emergency fund available to help those struggling temporarily with expenses such as rent, medical bills, books, etc. To apply to this fund, complete the application form and submit it to email@example.com.
Other Sources of Financial Help
Depending on your circumstances, there may be additional campus sources of financial assistance available to help. Alternative contacts are the Dean of Students office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Student Financial Aid (email@example.com). You may also apply to the Bruce and Kathy Pitman Emergency Fund for help with unexpected expenses.
Free Food Pantries
In addition to the Vandal Food Pantry, the College of Science maintains a small food pantry on the 3rd floor of the Mines building near the elevator. There is a microwave available in the adjacent student study room.