Wendy Gerwick Couture
Wendy Gerwick Couture
Professor of Law
College of Law
University of Idaho
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0015
- JD (summa cum laude), Southern Methodist University
- BA (summa cum laude) economics and French, Duke University
Wendy Gerwick Couture is a Professor of Law at the University of Idaho, where she teaches Business Associations, Payment Systems, Property Security, Securities Regulation, and White Collar Crime.
Professor Couture is committed to academic excellence. She received her B.A. from Duke University, where she graduated summa cum laude and was elected to membership in the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society. Professor Couture earned her J.D., summa cum laude, from Southern Methodist University, graduating first in her class. She also served as Texas Survey Editor of the SMU Law Review and was elected to membership in the Order of the Coif.
Professor Couture brings diverse legal experience to the classroom. After law school, she clerked for the Honorable Barbara M.G. Lynn, United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas. She then practiced business and commercial law at a large firm in Dallas, Texas and served as an Assistant Professor of Law at St. Mary’s University in San Antonio, Texas.
Professor Couture enjoys contributing to legal scholarship. Her articles have been published in the Alabama Law Review, University of Cincinnati Law Review, Maryland Law Review, Louisiana Law Review, University of Pennsylvania Journal of Business Law, Baylor Law Review, Loyola Law Journal, SMU Law Review, Seattle University Law Review, Albany Law Review, Pepperdine Law Review, and Securities Regulation Law Journal. Professor Couture’s scholarship is available on the Social Science Research Network: Wendy Gerwick Couture.
- Securities Regulation
- White Collar Crime
- Prosecuting Securities Fraud Under Section 17(a)(2), __ LOY. U. CHI. L.J. __ (forthcoming 2019).
- Optimal Issuer Disclosure of Opinions, 86 U. CIN. L. REV. 587 (2018).
- Texas Gulf Sulphur: A Case Study on Responding to Market Rumors, 71 SMU L. REV. 675 (2018).
- A Glass-Half-Empty Approach to Securities Regulation, 76 MD. L. REV. 360 (2017).
- Materiality and a Theory of Legal Circularity, 17 U. PA. J. BUS. L. 453 (2015).
- The Collision Between the First Amendment and Securities Fraud, 65 ALA. L. REV. 903 (2014).
- Opinions Actionable As Securities Fraud, 73 LA. L. REV. 381 (2013).
- White Collar Crime’s Gray Area: The Anomaly of Criminalizing Conduct Not Civilly Actionable, 72 ALB. L. REV. 1 (2009).
- Board of Directors, Federal Defender Services of Idaho.
- Governing Council, Business and Corporate Law Section of the Idaho State Bar.
- Board of Directors, Idaho Women Lawyers (currently serving as Vice-President).
- University of Idaho Mid-Career Award Recipient, 2018.
- Peter E. Heiser Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2014, 2016.
- Recipient, “Women of the Year,” awarded by the Idaho Business Review, 2013.
- Recipient, “Idaho Accomplished Under 40,” awarded by the Idaho Business Review, 2012.
Recent Blog Posts
University of Idaho Law Faculty Present and Take on Leadership Roles at Association of American Law Schools Annual Meeting
Posted Tue, 08 Jan 2019 14:00:00 -0800
In early January 2019, College of Law faculty descended on New Orleans to attend the Association of American Law Schools Annual Meeting. Read more
Posted Fri, 02 Nov 2018 10:09:00 -0700
Professor Wendy Gerwick Couture, along with 23 other corporate and securities law scholars from across the country, recently participated in a symposium issue of the SMU Law Review commemorating the 50th anniversary of SEC v. Texas Gulf Sulphur Co., 401 F.2d 833 (2d Cir. 1968). Read more
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2018 08:45:00 -0700
In a new video, Professor Wendy Gerwick Couture discusses Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s prior rulings and writings about issues related to securities regulation and predicts the impact that his confirmation to the Supreme Court would have in the areas of Securities and Exchange Commission rulemaking and securities litigation. Read more