Take Action


Eligibility Requirements

What are the eligibility requirements for receiving financial aid?

All applicants for financial aid (except scholarship-only applicants) must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Be a citizen or an eligible non-citizen of the United States
  • Have a valid Social Security number (unless you are from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)
  • Men must register with the Selective Service
  • Have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible program
  • Not have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid
  • Be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for Direct Loan funds (6 credits per semester for undergraduates, 5 credits per semester for law or graduate students). Most state aid programs and university scholarships require full-time enrollment (12 credits per semester for undergraduates, 9 for graduate students and 10 credits for law students). Pell Grants may be awarded to students who attend less than half-time (1-5 credits).
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the University
  • Be in good standing on all unpaid student loans with unpaid balances and must not owe a repayment for any federal grant program

Who can receive financial aid?

Undergraduate Students:

Students who are or will be working on their first bachelor's degree are eligible to apply for all financial aid programs that are administered by Student Financial Aid Services.

Second Undergraduates:

Students who have already received a bachelor's degree and who are not yet admitted to graduate school are considered to be second undergraduates for federal aid programs. These students are not eligible for federal grant programs (Pell or SEOG) and are restricted to undergraduate borrowing limits in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan program.

Graduate and Law Students:

Students who are admitted or enrolled in a graduate or law program are eligible to apply for federal loans. They must be enrolled half-time in order to borrow through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan program.

Nondegree (nonmatriculated or unclassified students):

Students not enrolled in a degree program may not receive any form of federal financial aid.

Students in Correspondence Courses (or Independent Study):

Students involved with independent study through the University of Idaho may not receive any form of federal financial aid.