University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Complete your FAFSA

Stuck? Don’t know where to start with FAFSA? Contact us for 1-on-1, personalized help!

Call: 208-885-6312, toll-free 888-884-3246

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed to qualify for financial aid. With this one application, you’re applying for several different types of federal, state, and/or university financial aid. Complete the FAFSA as early as Oct. 1 for the next school year. Be sure to list University of Idaho to receive your FAFSA information. Our federal school code is 001626.

Important Information

If you plan to attend U of I, Aug. 2022 to Aug. 2023:

You will submit this FAFSA: 2022-23
You can submit the FAFSA from: Oct. 1, 2021, to June 30, 2023
You will use income and tax information from: 2020

If you plan to attend U of I, Aug. 2023 to Aug. 2024:

You will submit this FAFSA: 2023-24
You can submit the FAFSA from: Oct. 1, 2022, to June 30, 2024
You will use income and tax information from: 2021

Step 1:  Create your FSA ID to submit the FAFSA

  • If you are a dependent student, one of your parents will also need to create their own FSA ID and sign your FAFSA. Two unique FSA IDs are necessary to complete the FAFSA form online. 
  • The FSA ID is needed to electronically sign the FAFSA and submit it. It serves as your legal signature and is tied to your Social Security number.
  • You’ll only create your FSA ID once. If you've forgotten your FSA ID, do not create another account, use Forgot My Username/Forgot My Password.

Step 2:  Fill out the FAFSA at

  • The FAFSA needs to be completed and submitted every year.
  • This online application takes less than an hour to do for new students and less than 30 minutes for returning students. Fill out the form by taking your time and reading the directions for each question. Click on the (?) next to each question for further details on what is being asked. 
  • Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to transfer your tax information from the IRS directly to the FAFSA. It’s the easiest way to save time and ensure your FAFSA has the most accurate tax information/data.  

Check to see if you’re eligible to use the IRS DRT.

 How to use the IRS DRT

Step 3:  Be Sure to Sign with FSA ID and Submit

  • Use your FSA ID to electronically sign the FAFSA application (both student and parent).
  • This is the #1 reason a submitted FAFSA doesn’t get processed by your school and you don't receive your funds. 
  • An email will be sent in 3-5 days with your Student Aid Report (SAR), which is a summary of the information you submitted on your FAFSA.

Step 4:  Verify Information on Your Student Aid Report (SAR)

  • Review all information for accuracy in your SAR to avoid future delays or issues.
  • If any of the information is inaccurate, please log in to the FAFSA with your FSA ID, make corrections, and submit again. You must also sign any FAFSA correction. If you've changed any parent data, your parent must also sign (for dependent students). For corrections you are not permitted to change, contact Student Financial Aid Services 208-885-6312. Keep all submitted information for your records.
  • The Student Financial Aid Services Office will notify you, via your Vandal email account, regarding your next steps in the financial aid process. Check your email regularly, as it is the primary way we communicate with students.

What is the University of Idaho's federal school code for the FAFSA application?

The University of Idaho's Federal School Code is 001626.

I missed the U of I’s priority deadline of Dec. 1, should I bother filling out the FAFSA?

Yes, still fill out your FAFSA! Submitting your FAFSA by the priority deadline does give you the best chance at receiving the limited funds in the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant and Work-Study funds but there is no priority deadline for the Pell Grant, low-interest loans and U of I scholarships.

Is it true that if your parents make a lot of money, you shouldn’t complete the FAFSA?

Filling out the FAFSA is a good idea even if you ‘think’ your parents make too much money. There is no income limit to restrict a student from receiving low-interest federal loans. Filling out your FAFSA each year guarantees you a backup financial plan should there be a change in your family's income and you need additional funds to pay for college. You are guaranteed loans and there is no obligation to accept them; they are there if you need them.

The FAFSA application is complicated. Is it worth doing?

Yes, it is worth the time! The FAFSA opens doors to federal grants you don't pay back such as low-interest loans and work study funds you earn from a job on U of I campus.

The FAFSA is not complicated if you take your time and read the instructions for each field. Clicking on the (?) next to a field makes it even easier, giving you more details about what is being asked. U of I provides 1:1 help through in-person appointments and through Zoom. U of I also provides help at and 208-885-6312 or toll-free 888-884-3246. The U.S. Department of Education also has many online resources to assist you. 

If my parents are undocumented or do not have a Social Security number, can I still submit the FAFSA?

Yes, you can still submit a FAFSA if you are a U.S. citizen. If your parent(s) do not have a social security number, you will enter all zeros (000-00-0000) in those fields on the FAFSA. Do not use a tax-payer identification number (TIN) in place of a social security number for your parents, as this will cause an error and delays in processing and getting your funds.

I am not living in the dorms on campus. Should I still fill out the FAFSA?

Yes! Students are allowed to use federal financial aid to pay for any kind of housing, including fraternities, sororities, and off-campus housing.

My parents don’t help pay for my college education. Am I considered Independent then?

Your answers to the questions on the FAFSA determine your dependency status for financial aid purposes. Being financially independent from your parents does not make you independent for financial aid purposes. If you do not meet the criteria to be considered independent but can document special circumstances about your independence, you should contact the U of I financial aid office for guidance. For more information about a student’s dependency status visit

I submitted my FAFSA. What happens next?

Here are the details.
(3:06 summary video)

The Federal Processor will send you an email when your FAFSA has been processed. Follow the link provided or log in to to review your Student Aid Report (SAR). Review the information for accuracy and ensure the University of Idaho (school code 001626) is listed as one of your schools to receive the FAFSA data.

If the FAFSA data is accurate, and you have been admitted to U of I, then our office will begin the awarding process. If there are errors in the data, please make the necessary corrections online by logging in at and selecting “Make FAFSA Corrections". Once our office has the corrected data and you have been admitted to the university, you will receive a financial aid award (also called a financial aid package). Continuing students can view it in VandalWeb. New U of I students will receive their award by mail in addition it’s viewable in VandalWeb.

Are there resources in student financial aid to help with budgeting while I'm in college?

Yes. the BEAMS (Better Education About Money for Students) program provides one-on-one, confidential, personal financial coaching to students at the University of Idaho. They can help with budgeting and locating additional resources if needed.

Parents and students shall use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to complete income information on the FAFSA. This tool allows students and parents to import IRS tax return information to complete the FAFSA, preventing errors and reducing additional documentation requests. When using the DRT, income information will be masked in order to protect your privacy. Please contact the university's financial aid staff prior to making changes to the imported information, as altering it can delay the processing time of your FAFSA and will create unnecessary documentation requests. Learn how to use the IRS DRT.

If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, we highly recommend using the tool for several reasons:

  • It’s the easiest way to provide your income and tax data.
  • It will speed up your financial aid application processing.
  • It’s the best way of ensuring your FAFSA has accurate income and tax information.
  • You won’t need to provide a copy of your tax returns.

We encourage students to contact our office and schedule an appointment with a financial aid counselor if you or your family have experienced a significant change in financial circumstances since completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). There may be additional options available to you.

Schedule a phone or Zoom appointment.

Usually, a review is done when a student and/or parent submits an appeal form with supporting documents which could result in a FAFSA income recalculation. Please note approval is on a case-by-case basis and the office’s decision is final. A reevaluation request can be for special situations such as the following:

  • Income reported on the FAFSA that you will not be received for reasons such as layoff, termination, or decline in self-employment income
  • Loss of child support, Social Security, or disability benefits
  • Separation, divorce, or death of a spouse or parent after submitting the FAFSA
  • Parent attending college at least half-time
  • Excessive medical expenses

Student Financial Aid Services

Physical Address:

Bruce M. Pitman Center
Room 101

709 Deakin Avenue
Moscow, ID 83844

Mailing Address:
Student Financial Aid Office
875 Perimeter Dr
MS 4291
Moscow, ID 83844-4291

Phone: 208-885-6312

Fax: 208-885-5592