School Foodservice Directors and Staff
Incorporating Idaho produce and farm products in school meals and snacks can open a new world of seasonal possibilities and put more tasty fresh foods on children’s plates. It can also support local farmers, ranchers and food producers. But getting started can be overwhelming to already busy professionals with time, kitchen, staff and budget constraints.
University of Idaho Extension works to connect schools and childcare providers with the considerable resources developed by Farm to School partners to help guide procurement of local foods for school meals.
Our partners include the Idaho State Department of Agriculture, Idaho State Department of Education, USDA Food and Nutrition Service, and the Idaho School Nutrition Association, each leading, supporting and guiding components of successful Farm to School efforts statewide, including:
- One-on-one consultation for school foodservice in finding and sourcing local foods
- In-lunchroom posters, marketing and resources to tell the story of Farm to School
- Connections with local farmers in your area interested in supplying product
- Working with distributors to ensure Idaho products are available
- Workshops, training, tours and more during the summer months
- Recipe and activity support for Idaho Farm to School Month
- Guidelines for safely using School Garden Produce in school meals and snacks
For procurement assistance and in-lunchroom marketing materials, contact the Idaho State Department of Agriculture.
For USDA information and support contact
USDA FNS Western Region
90 Seventh St., Suite 10-100
San Francisco, CA 94103
Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Freely Associated States, American Samoa
JuliAnna Arnett, Farm to School Regional Lead
Kristie Hubbard, Farm to Child Care Contact
Amy Swartz, Farm to Summer Contact