Healthy Diabetes Plate, 2d edition (38 MB download)
December 31, 2015
This curriculum trains adults with type 2 diabetes in a simple visual method for planning healthy meals.Who can benefit from using the Healthy Diabetes Plate Method?
The curriculum is mainly for adults who have type 2 diabetes and those who plan their meals.Why teach the Healthy Diabetes Plate curriculum?
- 85-99% of people with type 2 diabetes planned meals correctly after taking this class.
- The Healthy Diabetes Plate method is easy, effective and a great way to plan meals for the whole family.
- It's based on regular foods from all five food groups, not on special "diabetic" foods.
- People using the method can stick to their diets even when eating out.
A meal-planning method that makes it easy to visualize portion sizes and choose healthy foods from five food groups (non-starchy vegetables, lean protein, starch, fruit, milk/yogurt).
What the curriculum contains
- Four 1- to 1 1/2-hour lessons come with PowerPoint presentations, class activities, handouts, evaluation tools, background information and optional social media activities.
- Lesson 1. Identifying the signs and symptoms of diabetes and introducing the Healthy Diabetes Plate meal-planning method
- Lesson 2. Meal planning using Healthy Diabetes Plate food groups and portions sizes
- Lesson 3. Meal planning with foods from the supermarket
- Lesson 4. Preparing meals and eating out
Who should teach the Healthy Diabetes Plate
The curriculum is suitable for use in hospitals, clinics, retirement facilities, Extension offices and other informal adult-education settings.
Authors: Martha Raidl, SeAnne Safaii-Waite