Associate Dean & Director of UI Extension
Ag Science, Room 52
University of Idaho Extension
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2338
Moscow, ID 83844-2338
Ph.D., University of Idaho, 2007
M.S., University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 1984
B.S., Southwest Missouri State University, 1977
- Associate dean, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences and director of UI Extension, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID, 2016-present.
- Interim associate dean, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences and interim director of UI Extension, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID, 2014-2016.
- Eastern district director, University of Idaho Extension, associate UI Extension professor, 2010-2011, Extension professor, 2011-2014.
- Horizons project director, University of Idaho Extension, associate UI Extension professor 2008-2010.
- Associate Extension professor, University of Idaho Extension educator, family and consumer sciences, Bonneville County, 2004-2010.
- Assistant Extension professor, University of Idaho Extension educator, family and consumer sciences, Bonneville County, 1999-2004.
- Family and consumer sciences Extension assistant, irregular help appointment, Bonneville County, 1998-99.
- Hoffman, K., M. Cummins, L. Hansen, B. Petty, K. Tifft, L. Laumatia, 2013, FCS Extension Educators Develop Leaders to Serve in Public Office. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences. 105.4.
- Cummins , M., B.Petty, L. Hansen, K. Hoffman, G. Wittman, C. Falen, C. Cheney, J. Packham. 2012 Expanding the Reach of Extension to underserved audiences through Study Circles in rural Idaho. Journal of Extension, Volume 50, Number 4, Ideas at Work IAW2. http://www.joe.org/joe/2012august/iw2.php.
- Petty,B., L. Hansen, K. Hoffman, G. Wittman, C. Falen, C. Cheney, M. Cummins, J. Packham. 2010. Family and Consumer Sciences Educators Partner with Rural Communities to Expand the Reach of Extension. Journal of National Extension Professionals Family and Consumer Sciences (JNEAFCS), Volume 5, 2010, Pg. 32-37. http://www.neafcs.org/assets/Journal/NEAFCS-2010-Journal.pdf.
- Lockard, M., B. Petty, J. Peutz, M. Spencer, R. Lanting, and H. Shaklee, 2010. Working Smart: Increasing the reach of extension programming through media advertising. Journal of Extension, Volume 48, Number 1.
- Petty, B. 2010. Developing the art of becoming a couple: A grounded theory study of the positive influence of Married and Loving It!®. The Qualitative Report, 155. Retrieved from https://nsuworks.nova.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?httpsredir=1&article=1331&context=tqr.
- Petty, B., L. Dye, and J. Stimpson. 2008. Eastern Idaho Teens Learn Table Etiquette. Journal of Extension, Volume 46, Number 6.
- Petty, B. and M. Lockard. 2006. Idaho extension launches ID theft seminars. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, Volume 98, Issue 2.
- Spencer, M., B. Petty, J. Stimpson, L. Dees, and L. Riley. 2003. Welcome to the real world positively affects youth financial management skills, knowledge, and attitudes. Journal of Extension, Volume 41, Number 2.
- USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture Partnership Award, Multi-state Efforts, Horizons Program, 2011.
- Community Partnership Award, Horizons III Program. Idaho Association of Natural Resource and Community Development Extension Professionals. April 2011.
- Epsilon Sigma Phi, State Distinguished Team Award, Strong Women, 2009.
- Epsilon Sigma Phi, Distinguished Team Recognition, The Medicare prescription drug education project: A multi-state program of Idaho, Nebraska, Nevada, South Dakota and Wyoming, 2007.
- National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, Florence Hall Award, National Winner, Long Term Care Workshops, 2007.
- National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, Community Partnership Award, National Winner, Medicare Prescription Drug Card Education, 2006.
- National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, Television, National 2nd Place Winner, Married and Loving It!, 2006.
- USDA Priester Award: Medicare-approved Prescription Drug Discount Card; National Award, USDA-CSREES, 2006.
- National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, Marketing Package Award, National Winner, Medicare Prescription Drug Card Education, 2005.
- Secretary’s Honor Award, Secretary of Agriculture Ann M. Veneman, Washington D.C., 2003.
- National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, Florence Hall Award, National Winner, Married and Loving It! 2003.
Barbara Petty is the associate dean of the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences and director of University of Idaho Extension. From 1999 to 2010, Barbara served as an Extension educator in Bonneville County specializing in family development. From 2010 to 2014 she began her administrative work by serving as district director in eastern Idaho, supervising the faculty in 16 counties. Barbara’s educational background includes a bachelor's degree in education from Missouri State University, a master's degree from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in human development and the family and a doctorate from the University of Idaho in education. Prior to moving to Idaho with her family she taught family and consumer sciences on the junior high, senior high and college levels in Missouri and Nebraska. Barbara currently serves as the chair of the Board of Directors of Northwest University, Kirkland, Washington. Barbara has been married to Terry for 40 years, and they have 3 children and one dog. Their daughter Jana and her husband Mike are the proud parents of Barbara’s two grandsons.
- Curriculum vitae pdf