Extension Educator — Family & Consumer Sciences
Shelly specializes in nutrition, health promotion/wellness programs. She is known for programming in obesity prevention, healthy food pantries/drives, smarter lunchroom, soccer for success, diabetes and nutrition education for low-income families.
M.S., University of Montana, 1998
B.S., University of Montana, 1995
- Obesity prevention
- Food security and access
- Healthy food pantries
- Healthy nudges
- Plant-based diet
- Smarter lunchroom
- Roe, A. J., B. Morrisroe-Aman, L. Foist, S. Johnson, S. G. Lee, J. Peutz, & K. Hansen. (2021). Long Live Idaho!: Lessons Learned from a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education Social Marketing Campaign. Journal of National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, 16, 110–115. https://neafcs.memberclicks.net/assets/documents/journal/2021-jneafcs/2021-JNEAFCS-Final-Web.pdf
- Morrisroe-Aman, B., L. Sant, S. Johnson, J. Buck, J.H. Kim, G. Wittman. 2021. H20 to Go – Staying Hydrated Safely: A Reusable Water Bottle Safety Project. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. Journal of the National Extension Association of Family & Consumer Sciences. 16, 56-59. https://neafcs.memberclicks.net/assets/documents/journal/2021-jneafcs/2021-JNEAFCS-Final-Web.pdf
- Johnson, S., Peutz, J., Branen, L., and Ramsey, S. (2013). A Qualitative Approach to Assess Barriers and Supportive Behaviors in Nutrition Education for Seniors. Journal of the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences. 8, 33-38.
- McCurdy, S., Johnson, S., Hampton, C., Peutz, J., Sant, L., and Wittman, G., (2010). Ready-to-Go Exhibits Expand Consumer Food Safety Knowledge and Action. Journal of Extension [On-line], 48(5) Article 5TOT10. Available at: https://www.joe.org/joe/2010october/tt10.php
- Johnson, S. Local Area Agency on Aging Supports In-Home Nutrition Education for High-Nutritional Risk Seniors. Journal of Extension (Online), 48(4) Article 4IAW3. Available at: https://www.joe.org/joe/2010august/iw3.php
Shelly has worked for UI Extension within family and consumer sciences since September of 1999. Since her hire date, Shelly has overseen Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education, known as Eat Smart Idaho in the ten northern counties of Idaho. The Expanded Food & Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) was added to her oversight in 2016. With both of these funding streams, and additional internal and external funding, Shelly provides leadership to a program coordinator (RD), several community nutrition advisors, and over ten coach/mentors through the 4-H Soccer for Success program. Additionally, Shelly has provided oversite to several University of Idaho dietetic students who provide programming within Eat Smart Idaho during their Community Nutrition Supervised Practicums. ESI provides direct education to low-income families in north Idaho. Shelly leads ESI programming efforts with policy, system and environmental change work and has a very active Smarter Lunchroom Program in three school districts as well as an equally active Healthy Food Pantry/Healthy Food Drive project.
Outside of her SNAP-Ed and EFNEP role, Shelly provides programming in wellness, obesity prevention, diabetes prevention, physical activity and food safety. Shelly is a key member of the Idaho Physical Activity Collaborative and works collaboratively with other UI Extension colleagues on many scholarly activities. Shelly is an active community partner and serves on several key coalitions in her community. Shelly has overseen over 5 million dollars in grants with direct spending authority to assist with her programming. She has a 5% appointment within scholarly activities and actively presents at national, regional and state conference to disseminate her work. Currently, Shelly is involved in a Cost Efficiency and Benefit Analysis Study on Eat Smart Idaho, evaluation of the Food Pantry Nudge Project, the Long Live Idaho Campaign, 4-H Healthy Habits, 4-H Soccer for Success, and a collaborative study to increase trout consumption in young children and families for cognitive and mental health benefit.
- Johnson, S. GEM Award: recognizes nonmembers of the Idaho Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that have promoted and/or encouraged good health with an emphasis on sound nutrition habits through efforts to educate the public. Idaho Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, 2021
- Johnson, S. Boys and Girls Club of Kootenai County, Volunteer of the Year. Post Falls Chamber of Commerce. 2021
- Buck, J. H. K. Jang, L. Sant, S. Johnson, B. Morrisroe-Aman. G. Wittman. 2020. Effect of Cleaning Education on Microbiological Quality of Reusable Water Bottles. Program of Excellence Through Research Award, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences., 3rd Place Western Regional Winner, 2020
- Johnson, S. Business Partner of the Year, Boys and Girls Club, City of Post Falls Gala, 2018
- Peutz, J., Morrisroe-Aman, B., Roe, A. Johnson, S. 2nd Place National Award Winner, Marketing Package Award, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (NEAFCS) 2018
- Peutz, J., Morrisroe-Aman, B., Roe, A. Johnson, S. 1st Place Western Region Award Winner, Marketing Package Award, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (NEAFCS) 2018
- Toomey, M., Wittman, G., Johnson, S., Peutz, J., Buck, J., Gillespie, D., Greenway, S., Vega, L., Morrisroe-Aman, B., and A. Roe. Excellence in Healthy Living Programming Award, Idaho 4-H Food Smart Families, National Award Winner, NAE4-HA Annual Conference, Indianapolis, IN, November 12-17, 2017
- Toomey, M., Wittman, G., Johnson, S., Peutz, J., Buck, J., Gillespie, D., Greenway, S., Vega, L., Morrisroe-Aman, B., and A. Roe. Excellence in Healthy Living Programming Award, Idaho 4-H Food Smart Families, Regional Award Winner, NAE4-HA Annual Conference, Indianapolis, IN, November 12-17, 2017
- Wittman, G., M. Toomey, S. Johnson, J. Peutz, R. Lanting, J. Buck, D. Gillespie, S. Greenway, L. Vega, B. Morrison-Aman, A. Roe. 4-H Food Smart Families. Florence Hall Award Western Region first place winner. National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (NEAFCS) 2017
- Toomey, M., G. Wittman, S. Johnson, J. Peutz, R. Lanting, J. Buck, D. Gillespie, S. Greenway, L. Vega, B. Morrison-Aman, A. Roe. 4-H Food Smart Families. Excellence in Healthy Living Programming Award. Western Region and National Award. National Association of Extension 4-H Agents (NAE4HA) 2017
- Johnson, S. Coeur d'Alene Rotary Service Award. June 2016
- Toomey, M., Johnson, S. Peutz, J. Lanting, R., Vega, L., Gillespie, D., Buck, J., & G. Whitman. University of Idaho Extension Diversity Award, 4-H Food Smart Families Team, April 2016
- Johnson, S., & E. Ducar, Let's Move Coeur d'Alene, Smart Servings for Students, Gold Medal Recognition. July, 2016