K. Scott Jensen
K. Scott Jensen
Extension Educator, County Chair
UI Extension, Owyhee County
PO Box 400
Marsing, ID 83639
Scott conducts applied research and extension programs in beef cattle, range and pasture management. He co-coordinates the Idaho Beef Quality Assurance program and conducts the longstanding Lost Rivers Grazing Academy. He provides BQA, AI, milker and calving schools in Spanish.
M.S., University of Idaho, 2000
B.S., Brigham Young University, 1989
- Rangeland Monitoring/Management
- Irrigated Pasture Management
- Beef Cattle Management
- Beef Quality Assurance
- Lewin, P., N. Rimbey, A. Brown, K.S. Jensen, J.D. Wulfhorst. 2014. Regional Economic Impact Model of Owyhee County. AEE Series No. 14-01.
- Glaze, B., K.S. Jensen, S. Baker, J. Church, S. Etter, T. Fife, D. Gunn, S. Hamilton, S. Nash, S. Williams, and R. Wilson. Idaho Vaccine Handling and Management Study. Professional Animal Scientist. Prof. Anim. Sci. 2013 29:313-320.
- Gunn, D., K.S. Jensen, S. Williams, C. Parsons, T. Hudson, and J. England. 2013. Cattle Vaccine Management and Handling Guidelines. PNW 637.
- Wilson, R.L, K.S. Jensen, S.E. Etter, and J.K. Ahola. 2011. Variation in Nutritive Quality and Mineral Content of Grazed and Clipped Forage from Native Ranges in Southwest Idaho. Prof. Anim. Sci. 2011 27:435-448.
- Jensen, K.S., K. Heaton, A.M. Chamberlain. 2011. Managing Riparian Pastures. Western Beef Resource Committee Cow-Calf Management Guide and Cattle Producer's Library, Second Edition. CL 522.
- Ahola, J.K., H.A. Foster, D.L. VanOverbeke, K.S. Jensen, R.L. Wilson, J.B. Glaze, Jr., T.E. Fife, C.W. Gray, S.A. Nash, R.R. Panting, and N.R. Rimbey. 2010. Quality defects in market beef and dairy cows and bulls sold through livestock auction markets in the Western United States: I. Incidence rates. J. Anim. Sci. May 2011 89:1474-1483.
- Ahola, J.K., H.A. Foster, D.L. VanOverbeke, K.S. Jensen, R.L. Wilson, J.B. Glaze, Jr., T.E. Fife, C.W. Gray, S.A. Nash, R.R. Panting, and N.R. Rimbey. 2010. Quality defects in market beef and dairy cows and bulls sold through livestock auction markets in the Western United States: II. Relative effects on selling price. J. Anim. Sci. May 2011 89:1484-1495.
Scott was born and raised in southern Idaho. He earned a B.S. degree in animal science in 1989. He then spent 4 years in Texas as assistant manager of a purebred Charolais ranch. He returned to Idaho where he earned an M.S. degree in ag education while teaching agricultural science in the Nampa school district. Scott began employment with the University of Idaho Cooperative Extension Service in 2000 in the Canyon County office. He transferred to the Owyhee County Extension office in 2004. He conducts applied research and extension programs in beef cattle management, range and pasture management, artificial insemination and beef quality assurance.
- Jensen, K.S. NACAA Distinguished Service Award. 2016.
- Jensen, K.S., C. Schachtschneider. First Place Applied Research Poster. Targeted Grazing Applied to Reduce Wildfire Spread in Sagebrush Steppe Ecosystems. NACAA AM/PIC. Little Rock, AR. 2016.
- Jensen, K.S., R. Ruiz, T. Freeburg, B. Glaze, N. Rimbey, J. Hall, J. England, S. Etter,. Regional Winner Communication Award for Team Newsletter. National Association of County Agricultural Agents. 2014.
- Shewmaker, G.E., C. Cheyney, S. Baker, K.S. Jensen, C. Falen, K. Crane, J.B. Glaze, T. Fife, B. Mclain, H. Neibling, C.W. Gray, S. Williams, R. Wilson. Excellence in Extension Award by University of Idaho: for writing Pasture and Grazing Management in the Northwest PNW 614; this was a team award and included $1000, which was used for scholarships for professional development to the Lost Rivers Grazing Academy. 2010.
- Jensen, K.S. NACAA Achievement Award Winner for Idaho County Agricultural Agents. July 2008.
- Etter, S.J., R. Wilson, K.S. Jensen. USDA Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education Program National Winner in SARE Search for Excellence for the Living on the Land program (team award). July, 2007.
- Jensen, K.S., C. Cheyney, J. Hawkins, S. Williams, G. Shewmaker, C.W. Gray. NACAA National Award Winner in Search for Excellence In Livestock Production Programs for the Lost Rivers Grazing Academy(team award). July, 2006.
- Jensen, K.S. and J. Dalton. University of Idaho Extension Diversity Award, April, 2004.