Extension Educator, Health & Fitness/Nutrition, Associate Professor
University of Idaho Extension, Idaho County
Courthouse, Room 3
320 W. Main
Grangeville, ID 83530
Kirstin has served as an Extension educator in Idaho County since 2008 with an emphasis in family and consumer sciences. She offers programming in health, nutrition and fitness to all community members, schools and businesses.
Doctoral candidate, University of Idaho
M.A., Pacific Lutheran University, 1999
B.S., Pacific Lutheran University, 1994
- Providing leadership and educational programming for all ages in the areas of health, nutrition, healthy lifestyles and fitness.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020
- Physical Activity & Fitness
- You Are What You Eat: Healthy Meal Planning
- Using Facebook & Twitter to Market Your Programs, Workshops and Events
- Fitness at Your Level
- Kick Your Bootcamp, Kids Klub Outdoor Fitness
- Metabolism & Me
- Taking Control of Your Cholesterol — The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- Healthy Nutrition for Athletes
- Searching for Athletic Scholarships
- Jensen, K., Tifft, K., Winfield, T., Gunter, K., John, D., and Goc Karp, G. (2017 in progress). Mapping attributes using participatory photography: Exploring healthy active living in rural Idaho. Journal of Extension (submitted).
- Scruggs, P., Paul, D., Goc Karp, G., Brown, H., Vella, C., Davis, C., and Jensen, K. (2014). Surveillance of physical education physical activity in Idaho. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 46(5), Supplement. American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, 2014.
- Jensen, K. (2013). Organizing a community ‘Biggest Loser’ weight loss challenge. Journal of Extension [online], 51(2), 2IAW8. Available at http://www.joe.org/joe/2013april/iw8.php Joint Council of Extension Professionals Galaxy IV Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, September 16-20, 2013.
- Beezely, T., Beck, T., Jones, S., Jensen, K., Barbieri, R., and Scruggs, P. (2012). Mobile Computer App and Waist Mounted Pedometer Accuracy. American Alliance for Health, Recreation and Dance National Convention and Exposition, Charlotte, North Carolina, April, 2013.
Kirstin Jensen currently serves as the family and consumer sciences Extension educator in Idaho County. Her primary responsibility is to provide extension and outreach from the University of Idaho to Idaho County residents and other northern district counties when requested. Kirstin works to provide leadership and educational programming for all ages in the areas of health, nutrition, healthy lifestyles and fitness. In addition, Kirstin is the Extension resource contact for fitness and healthy lifestyle questions, consultations, workshops and train-the-trainer instruction in the state of Idaho.
Kirstin’s educational background includes a bachelor of science in physical education from Pacific Lutheran University and a master's in education from Pacific Lutheran University. She is currently working on completing her doctorate in education with a focus on healthy active lifestyles from the University of Idaho. Kirstin is married, has one child and lives on a horse ranch in north central Idaho.
- Mildred Haberly Extension Professional Endowment, School of Family and Consumer Sciences, 2016, 2015, 2011.
- Joint Council of Extension Professionals, Professional Improvement Scholarship, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011.
- National Extension Association of Family & Consumer Sciences, First Place Western Region Winner, Newsletter, 2011.
- G. Elbert McProud Memorial Scholarship, University of Idaho Extension, 2010.