Area Extension Educator — Community Food Systems
Ag Science, Room 333
University of Idaho Extension
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2338
Moscow, ID 83844-2338
DePhelps’ specializes in community food systems; small farms; organizational development, strategic planning and facilitation. She advocates for and uses community-based, participatory approaches to education and research to develop impactful programs.
M.S., Washington State University, 1994
B.S., Western Washington University, 1991
- Supporting and enhancing community food system linkages
- Developing regional value-chains and increasing the competitiveness of local food businesses
- Expanding access to intermediated markets
- Supporting the development of Inland Northwest artisan grain value-chains
- Potential for scaling-up vegetable and fruit production in the Palouse region of north central Idaho and southeast Washington
- Cultivating SuccessTM education for small acreage farmers and ranchers http://www.cultivatingsuccess.org
- Farmland access and Idaho Farm Link http://www.cultivatingsuccess.org/farmlink
- Supporting women in agriculture
- On-Farm food safety education
- Boone, K., C. DePhelps, R. Pilgeran, K. Dentzman, J. Werlin, and M. Lawrence. 2022. Women farmers on the rise? Understanding USDA data-collection methods. University of Idaho Extension. BUL 1014. https://www.extension.uidaho.edu/publishing/html/BUL1014-Women-Farmers-on-the-Rise.aspx.
- Saul, D., S. Newman, C. DePhelps, and F. Liao. 2022. Exploration of values and agency in place-based food systems. Journal of Rural Studies, 89:337-347. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrurstud.2021.12.010.
- Werlin, J., L. Golden, and C. DePhelps. 2021. A Guide to developing food coalitions and food-policy councils in Idaho. University of Idaho Extension. BUL 995.
- DePhelps, C.* and S. Peterson. 2020. Estimating the economic contribution of the Moscow Farmers Market. Western Economic Forum 18(2020), Issue no. 2:65-75. https://waeaonline.org/western-economics-forum/.
- DePhelps, C., S. Newman, L. Golden, and I. Mayes. 2019. Using Hybrid Learning to Improve Educational Programs for Small-Acreage Farmers. Journal of Extension.57(4), Article 4RIB2. https://www.joe.org/joe/2019august/rb2.php.
- Liao, F., B. Gordon, C. DePhelps, D. Saul, C. Fan and W. Feng. 2019. A Land-Based and Spatial Assessment of Local Food Capacity in Northern Idaho, USA. Land. 8(8), 121; https://doi.org/10.3390/land8080121.
- Bauman, A., C. DePhelps, and D. Thilmany McFadden. 2019. Assessing a Local Food System: The Palouse-Clearwater Food Coalition Assessment Process. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, 8(C), 107-118. https://doi.org/10.5304/jafscd.2019.08C.008.
- Preparing beginning farmers and ranchers to secure farmland in Idaho
- Supporting small farms and local food systems during COVID-19
- Idaho's Cultivating SuccessTM program increases digital outreach to small farms
- Online Ten Acres & a Dream workshop extends audience, increases knowledge gains
- Ripple Effects Mapping: Skill building for Extension educators across the state
- “Funding for Farmers” series brings new research & structures to Palouse area farms
Based in Moscow, Idaho, Colette's University of Idaho Extension programming area includes the ten northern counties of Idaho. For more than 25 years, Colette has been working with farmers, community members, non-profits, government agencies and universities in the Inland Northwest to develop community food systems and small farms programs. Colette has offered numerous educational workshops, conferences, field tours, webinars and online courses on local food systems, small acreage farming and ranching, and sustainable agriculture.
Her current work includes: supporting and enhancing community food system linkages; developing regional value-chains and increasing the competitiveness of local food businesses; expanding markets for small farms and artisan grain producers; small acreage and beginning farmer education; strengthening local food systems; and, on-farm food safety education. Colette is a cofounder of the Cultivating SuccessTM Sustainable Small Farms Education program and a cofounder of the Palouse-Clearwater Food Coalition (PCFC).
Colette serves on the City of Moscow Farmers Market Commission and chairs the Palouse-Clearwater Food Coalition. Prior to working with UI Extension, she served as the executive director and special projects director of Rural Roots, Inc., an Idaho-based small farm organization.
In her free time, Colette enjoys hiking and kayaking with her two children, preparing and eating local food with friends and motorcycle riding on Idaho's backcountry roads with her husband.
- Educational Technology Award for the Inland Northwest Artisan Grains Podcast. National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals, National Winner, Western Region Winner, 2022.
- Educational Technology Award for the Inland Northwest Artisan Grains Podcast. Idaho Association of Natural Resource and Community Development Extension Professionals, State Winner, 2022.
- DePhelps, C. NACDEP Educational Technology Award — National Runner-Up, Converting Food Systems Assessment Data to an Online Local Food Directory Using ArcGIS Story Mapping Software. National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals, 2020.
- DePhelps, C. NACDEP Educational Technology Award — Western Region Winner, Converting Food Systems Assessment Data to an Online Local Food Directory Using ArcGIS Story Mapping Software. National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals, 2020
- DePhelps, C. IANCDEP Educational Technology Award — State Winner, Converting Food Systems Assessment Data to an Online Local Food Directory Using ArcGIS Story Mapping Software. Idaho Association of Natural Resource and Community Development Extension Professionals, 2020.
- Mayes, I., A. Agenbroad, C. DePhelps, J. Jensen, L. Golden, J. Werlin, K. Painter, M. Hamilton and S. Newman. NACDEP Excellence in Teamwork Award — Team Runner-up, Cultivating Success. National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals, 2019.
- Mayes, I., A. Agenbroad, C. DePhelps, J. Jensen, L. Golden, J. Werlin, K. Painter, M. Hamilton and S. Newman. NACDEP Excellence in Teamwork Award — West Team Winner, Cultivating Success. National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals, 2019.
- Agenbroad, A., C. DePhelps, L. Golden, M. Hamilton, J. Jensen, I. Mayes, S. Newman, K. Painter, R. Ruiz, A. Snyder, E. Stachowski, J. Werlin, C. Williams, and M. Young. National Winner, Communications Award, Learning Module: Starting Your Sustainable Small Farm notebook, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2018.