To become a certified Idaho Master Gardener, federal standards require a minimum of 40 hours of classroom training, and 40 hours of volunteer service hours; however, fees, training times and service requirements vary by county. Check the class schedules below to contact your local UI Extension office for an application and information about the next and nearest training. Some counties may have waiting lists.
The Idaho Master Gardener Program is taught by UI Extension educators in your community. Field trips and readings from your copy of the comprehensive Idaho Master Gardener Handbook will fill out your instructional program.
Once you've finished your classroom training, passed your exams and completed your service hours or "practicum," you'll be a certified Idaho Master Gardener for one year. And, be enriched by basic gardening knowledge, pest identification abilities, leadership training and planning skills.
Many Idaho Master Gardeners choose to extend their certification into future years through advanced training and a commitment of additional service hours. In five years become a certified Advanced Idaho Master Gardener.
As an Idaho Master Gardener student, you can earn one, two or even three University of Idaho credits — depending on whether your county’s course involves at least 15, 30 or 45 hours of classroom instruction. To earn this academic credit, you must pass the course (which is graded on a pass/fail basis), prepare a report, make a classroom presentation, take a final exam and complete your service hours. Follow these steps to enroll as a non-matriculated (non-degree-seeking) student:
- Download the Application for Non-degree Admission (pdf)
- Fill out the form and print it.
- For the Master Gardener course information, go to the Course Schedule for the spring semester in which you are enrolling at www.uidaho.edu/schedule. Select the Plant Science (PLSC) offerings. Scroll down to PLSC 212 and find the information you need, such as the course registration number (CRN).
- Write a check for payment. For the current amount, contact Student Accounts at 208-885-7447, firstname.lastname@example.org or at https://www.uidaho.edu/controller/studentaccounts. Refer to the undergraduate fee for Idaho residents attending part-time (1-9 credits).
- Send the form and payment to Admissions, University of Idaho, 875 Perimeter Dr MS 4264, Moscow, Idaho 83844-4264.
If you have questions, contact Admissions at 208-885-6326 or email@example.com.
Download the Idaho Master Gardener handbook, chapters or to purchase a printed copy.
Master Gardener Certification Classes
Counties listed below marked with an asterisk (*) also offer the Advanced Idaho Master Gardener training.
January to May
February to May
February to March
January to April every other year
February to April every other year
September to November every other year
January to May every other year
January to May