February Cereal School
- 2018 Southwest Idaho Cereal School
- February 2018
- For more information, contact Olga Walsh
Why We Test Varieties
Performance trials test of public and private varieties and advanced lines under the irrigated and dryland conditions of western Idaho. Public and private small grain breeding programs are not located in the Treasure Valley and their germplasm evaluations do not always include the specific environments of this area.
Information is needed by the small grain industry to determine the local adaptability of new releases for this area:
- Producers need to know which varieties are the most economical to produce.
- Seed dealers need to know which varieties to increase and inventory.
- Breeders need to know how well their potential releases are adapted to Treasure Valley conditions in order to decide which advanced lines to release or market in the area.