University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Student Services

First-Year Undergraduate Advising

Are you in need of academic advising assistance? If so, connect with our Student Services academic advising team and make an appointment through VandalStar.

Faculty Advisor Transition Process

Mechanical Engineering majors are advised by a professional advisor in their first semester or until they complete MATH 175. A student who is currently enrolled in MATH 175 will work with the professional advisor to register for next semester and then should transition to a faculty advisor. The professional advisor should email ME’s Administrative Coordinator with the list of students currently enrolled in MATH 175 (in early October or in early March), so they may be transitioned to a faculty advisor for the subsequent spring or fall advising periods, respectively.

If you have any questions about who your advisor is, it is listed in your Student Profile on VandalWeb.  If no advisor is listed, please visit the ME Office in Engineering Physics Bldg 324K or call 208-885-6579.

Transfer Students

If you have 13 or less transfer credits please email Student Services or call 208-885-6470. If you have 13 or more credits please email or call 208-885-6579.

Graduate Advising

For questions related to Mechanical Engineering graduate degrees, please contact your faculty advisor or the department by emailing or calling 208-885-6579.

Work with our College of Engineering career advising liaison to best prepare for the career that’s right for you, including:

  • Career exploration and the degree paths to get there
  • Finding jobs, internships, and co-ops
  • Tips for résumés, CVs, and cover letters
  • Interview tips and preparation
  • Salary and benefits negotiations
  • Graduate school exploration

Career Services

Career Services at the University of Idaho brings highly qualified Idaho students together with local, regional and national employers for internships, jobs and career experiences. Career Services are available to Idaho students and alumni for a lifetime.

Location: Idaho Student Union Building (ISUB), Room 334
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Drop-in Hours: Monday-Friday 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Career advising appointments can be made by calling Career Services at 208-885-6121 or in person at the Idaho Student Union Building (ISUB), Room 334.

Career Finder

Career Finder is designed to help you find a good career by providing the most current local data on wages, employment, job postings and associated education and training.

John C. Wahl thinkTANK Study Assistance

sponsored by the College of Engineering & Engineering Scholars

Visit the John C. Wahl thinkTANK (Janssen Engineering 128) for tutoring help with classes ranging from Computer Science, Chemistry, Math, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Statistics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, and more.

View Tutor Schedule

Vandal Tutoring

Academic Support & Access Programs host other available tutoring opportunities. Find a tutor and continue learning today!

The John C. Wahl thinkTANK, located in the Janssen Engineering building across from the Dean's office, is a one stop shop for academic success. Learn more about our innovative engineering workspace.

To schedule a thinkTANK meeting room or use for an event email Kylie Sparks or call 208-885-6470.

To request an exception to the academic requirements in the General Catalog due to extenuating circumstances that have contributed to your academic standing, class registration, or academic performance College of Engineering students may submit an Academic Petition. Below are the steps to submit an Academic Petition.

  1. Meet with your academic advisor to see if an Academic Petition is the appropriate course of action.
  2. Complete the Academic Petition form (PDF) and obtain supporting documentation or letter(s) of support. The Academic Petition form is also on the Office of the Registrar Forms page.
  3. Pay $10 fee to Student Accounts in the Pitman Center or by phone at 208-885-7447. Petition cannot be heard until the $10 fee has been paid.
  4. Drop off your Academic Petition with the form stamped as “paid” and any supporting documentation to College of Engineering Student Services in the Jansen Engineering Building (JEB), room 125 or via email at
  5. Petitions are discussed and approved or denied by the Academic Petitions Committee, composed of University of Idaho faculty members and administration. Petitions are normally heard on Thursday afternoons. Petitions should be submitted to the College of Engineering Student Services Office (JEB 125) by Wednesday at 9:00am before the Thursday that the University Academic Petitions Committee meets. After a petition has been presented, a college representative will send information to your VandalMail about the committee’s decision.


Please contact the College of Engineering Student Services team by emailing or calling 208-885-6470.

Academic Advising

Student support is available Mon-Fri 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Get Advising Help

Ask an Engineering Ambassador

Find out what college is really like from a current engineering student.

Email an Ambassador

Contact Us

Engineering Physics Building Rm. 324K

Mailing Address:

Mechanical Engineering
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 0902
Moscow, ID 83844-0902

Phone: 208-885-6579

Fax: 208-885-9031