How to Support the Vandal Food Pantry
We love that you are interested in supporting the Vandal Food Pantry. We can use your help and here is how! Keep in mind we have limited staffing of the pantry and so we request that you reach out to the firstname.lastname@example.org about large donations and food drives.
We accept monetary donations and this form of support is incredibly helpful and efficient for our pantry staff to manage. It allows us to purchase the exact products needed at the time.
For monetary donations please click here.
We welcome and encourage everyone to drop off in-kind food, hygiene, and home supplies donations.
What to Donate:
We can only accept food that is non-perishable in undamaged containers with intact labels and clear and non-expired dates. If you have expired or perishable food that you would like to donate, please contact Food Not Bombs of the Palouse. The Vandal Food Pantry is unable to accept these items.
As delicious as it may be, we cannot accept homemade food, leftovers, or baked goods. Nor can we accept frozen/refrigerated or bulk foods.
Please consider donating food that people want to eat and students can easily cook. A good rule of thumb is: “donate food that you would want to eat!” In other words, we receive an excessive amount of canned beans.
In addition to non-perishable foods, we are always in need of:
- Beyond canned beans/veggies: nut butters, jam, instant oatmeal, cereal, canned fruits, instant rice, ramen, pastas, pasta sauce, canned fish or poultry, pickles, soups, stews, snacks, granola bars, nuts, juices, sports drinks, and shelf-stable milk.
- Cooking ingredients: flours, sugars, baking soda, spices, condensed milk, salt, pepper, oils, vinegar, and cooking wines.
- Dietary friendly foods: gluten-free, lactose-free, sugar-free, keto, vegan, vegetarian, etc.
- Hygiene products: shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, menstrual products, hairbrush, hair products, deodorant, shaving razors, and shaving cream.
- Household care items: cleaning agents, sponges, dish soap, wash clothes, batteries, light bulbs, and dustpan/brush.
- Childcare items: diapers, diaper paste, baby wipes, formula, baby food, onesies, burp clothes, and bibs.
- Kitchen items: can openers, spatulas, measuring spoons, measuring cups, and utensils.
*Need more inspiration? Check out Feeding America’s ideas on what to donate and what not to donate.
How to Donate:
For large donation amounts please reach out to our Vandal Food Pantry directly at email@example.com or 208-885-6078.
Small scale donations can be dropped off in our pantry collection bins conveniently located on campus. Please remember we can only take non-perishable food and hygiene goods. Foods must have clear expiration dates, be non-expired, with the label and container intact. We cannot take homemade goods or bulk foods.
- ISUB 301, ASUI office, subject to building hours.
- Bruce Pitman Center, outside the main entrance facing the VandalStore.
Thank you for considering a food drive for the Vandal Food Pantry. We can’t wait to partner with you!
Please reach out to us prior to your drive to determine needs and amount, coordinate/manage the drive, and discuss ideas and best practices. Our Food Pantry Manager may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-885-6078.
The Vandal Food Pantry can always use more student, staff, and faculty volunteers, especially with the Mobile Food Pantry, restocking the cabinets, or managing the Shoup Hall main pantry. For opportunities, please coordinate directly with the Vandal Food Pantry at email@example.com or 208-885-6078. You can also look for opportunities posted in Engage UIdaho under the Service tab.