Serving Your New Community
Serving Your New Community (SYNC) is a volunteering opportunity that connects incoming students to their new community. Students have the chance to serve with community partners in various locations throughout the Palouse to learn about their new community, see more of their new surroundings, and meet other incoming students.
Save the Date: August 24, 2019
More than 1,000 University of Idaho students will spend the first Saturday of their college careers out in the Palouse community.
First-year students partner with local businesses and organizations and travel in teams to different service locations on the Palouse during the morning and/or afternoon session(s).
Service projects can include site cleanup and beautification, gardening, painting, basic construction and other service needs. In 2018, students put more than 1,764 hours of service at more than 30 sites across the Palouse.
2019 Event Schedule
- Student volunteers arrive to Theophilus Tower Field at 8:00 a.m.
- Group leaders depart with student groups at 8:30 a.m.
- Groups volunteer from 9:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
- Group leaders facilitate reflection at 11:15 a.m. on site and depart for Theophilus Tower Field at 11:30 a.m.
- Student volunteers arrive to Theophilus Tower Field at noon
- Group leaders depart with student groups at 12:30 p.m.
- Groups volunteer from 1:00 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Group leaders facilitate reflection at 3:15 p.m. on site and depart for Theophilus Tower Field at 3:30 p.m.