University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Contact Us

College of Natural Resources

Phone: 208-885-8981


Minors and Certificates

Sharpen your skills and gain a competitive advantage by earning a certificate or minor along with your College of Natural Resources (CNR) degree. Some of these are offered online.

Minors by Department

Academic minors are a prescribed group of classes consisting of 18 or more credits as described in Part 3 of the General Catalog (Regulation J-9). Some majors require a minor, for others it is optional. Check with your advisor for specifics about your degree program.

Fish and Wildlife Sciences Minors:

Forest, Rangeland and Fire Sciences Minors:

Natural Resources and Society Minors:

Undergraduate Certificates

Currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate students may pursue an Academic Certificate by contacting the academic department in which it is offered, and submitting a Change of Curriculum form to the Registrar. New students wishing to pursue Academic Certificates must apply for admission, either undergraduate or graduate depending on the academic certificate.

Once admitted, you may register for courses. We strongly recommend that you contact us at, to talk with an adviser who will help you develop a program of study to meet your educational needs.

Graduate Certificates

Certificates are ideal for students and professionals who do not desire a master's or doctoral degree, but who want a basic understanding of techniques and applications within a specific discipline. Certificates can be particularly useful because success in the modern workplace requires knowledge and insights that cross traditional disciplinary bounds. Certificates allow students to concentrate on particular fields of direct relevance to their current careers.

Students must complete the online application for a Graduate Level Academic certificate ($30.00 application fee) and provide evidence of a completed bachelor’s degree (unofficial transcripts will be accepted for graduate certificate applications) in a generally related area with an overall GPA of at least 3.0. Students who have below a 3.0 cumulative GPA on their undergraduate record and wish to enroll in a graduate certificate program are encouraged to apply and may be admitted based on departmental review. Certificate only students will be classified as certificate seeking at the graduate level and are not eligible for financial aid. International graduate certificate applicants must meet the University of Idaho language requirement.  Due to the nature of this program, immigration regulations prohibit students requiring an F-1 or J-1 visa admission to this program.

Current graduate degree seeking University of Idaho Students will be required to fill out a Change of Curriculum form adding the graduate certificate as an additional curriculum. Students should obtain the proper signatures from the department and return to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

Current Undergraduate students wishing to earn a Graduate Academic Certificate must be eligible to participate in graduate level courses (minimum requirements — senior standing and a 3.0 U of I overall GPA). If the course is not being used for the undergraduate degree the student should file a Course Level Adjustment form to reserve the course for the GR transcript (maximum of 12 credits may be reserved for the graduate transcript). Once the student earns their bachelor’s degree they may apply as a graduate certificate seeking student and complete the certificate program.

Non-degree students are not admitted to the College of Graduate Studies. They may, however, take graduate courses with permission of the instructor and the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies provided that they have earned a baccalaureate degree with an overall 3.00 GPA. Non-degree students are not eligible for Title IV financial aid. If a non-degree student receives a grade of C, D, or F in a 500-level course, he/she loses the privilege of taking more 500-level courses.

Contact Us

College of Natural Resources

Phone: 208-885-8981