Jamie Derrick is an associate clinical professor in the Department of Psychology and Communication Studies. She is a licensed psychologist and she teaches courses in developmental psychology, and emotional well-being and mindfulness.
- Ph.D., Counseling Psychology, Stanford University
- M.A., Social Psychology, Stanford University
- M.A., Organizational Sociology, Stanford University
- B.S., Business, University of Idaho
Jamie Derrick has worked at the University of Idaho for about 15 years. Derrick is a licensed psychologist and has a small private practice as a depth psychologist who uses somatic & mindfulness interventions. Derrick is a mindfulness meditation teacher with certification from UCLA, Mindful Awareness Research Center. Derrick teaches nationally on topics related to mindfulness and emotional healing. Derrick has applied interests (meaning Derrick uses theory and research to create effective, real life outcomes). Accordingly, Derrick has developed training and workshops using somatic awareness and mindfulness and expressive art to promote health and wellness. Derrick offers free drop-in and internet-based guided meditation to faculty, staff and students to help promote health on the U of I campus. Derrick is a single parent with two children and loves family life. Derrick enjoys bicycling, yoga, water sports, art and reading.
- Clinical psychology interventions for emotional and social competence
- Mindfulness practices as a pathway to emotional healing
- Art and creativity as pathways to emotional well-being
- Dream analysis
- 2016, Derrick, J (2016, January 14). Taming a Noisy Mind. The Argonaut, pp.3.
- 2015, Derrick, J (2015, October 15). U of I is a Stressed-Out Campus. The Argonaut, pp.3.
- 2006, Nekich (Derrick), J. Web-based interactive student study guide (sixteen learning modules with self-scoring quizzes) for Developmental Psychology. Wadsworth Publishers: San Francisco.
- 2001, Locke, K & Nekich (Derrick), J. (2001). Agency and communion in naturalistic social comparison. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 26, 864-874.
- 2018 Derrick, J (Sept, 2018). Self-Compassion is Essential to Stress Reduction. Keynote for Mindfulness Symposium, Washington State University
- 2017 Derrick, J. (May 2017). Mindfulness and Mental Health: Simple practices for caregivers. National Alliance on Mental Health Conference, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho.
- 2017 Derrick, J. (January 2017). Mindfulness and the Creative Process. Eastside Mindfulness Coalition, Secular Spirituality Center, Los Angeles, CA.
- 2016 Holyoke, L, Shieffelbein, K. and Derrick, J. (October, 2016). The Psychologically Safe Classroom is Essential in Mindfulness Education. Northwest Research on Women and Gender, University of Vermont, Burlington.
- 2014 Derrick (Nekich), J and Alexander, T. (October, 2014). Strategies for building a ‘strengthening the spirit’ curriculum with Native American youth. Indian Education Summit, Lewiston Idaho.
- 2013 Derrick (Nekich), J and Alexander, T. (October, 2013). Using Contemplative Practices to Strengthen the Young Scholar’s ‘Spirit’. Northwest Association of Educational Opportunity Programs, Portland Oregon.
- Sept 2007 – May 2008, Workshops for Performance Artists- Moscow, Idaho. Use of dream, journaling, and guided imagination to access personal story and emotion to enhance stage performance.
- 2018 Derrick, J. and Potter, D. (October, 2018) Four Day Residential Mindfulness Retreat for Adults. Co-teaching Mindfulness-Based Awareness Practices in the context of residential retreat that integrates MBSR, relational mindfulness, and mindful movement in North Idaho Retreat Setting for 50 adults coming from across US and Idaho.
- 2018 Derrick, J. (July, 2018). Week Long Residential Mindfulness Retreat for At-risk Teens. Staff for iBME (Inward Bound Meditation Experience). Residential meditation retreat for teens. Offered week-long education on meditation and relational mindfulness and monitored 45 teens with complex mental health needs.
- 2017 Derrick, J. and Potter, D. (October, 2017) Four Day Residential Mindfulness Retreat for Adults. Co-teaching Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction to provide residential retreat that integrates MBSR, relational mindfulness, and mindful movement in North Idaho Retreat Setting for 50 adults coming from across US and Idaho.
- 2017 Derrick (March-December, 2017) Primary Meditation Mentor. Staff for UCLA, Mindful Awareness Research Center year long Intensive Personal Practice (IPP) program. Provided quarterly phone calls, educational resources, and practice support to American and International students enrolled in the UCLA IPP program.
- 2017 Derrick, J. (July, 2017). Week Long Residential Mindfulness Retreat for At-risk Teens. Staff for iBME (Inward Bound Meditation Experience). Residential meditation retreat for teens. Trained and then offered staff workshop on social justice to fifteen staff in two-day advance preparation for the retreat. Offered week-long education on meditation and relational mindfulness and monitored 45 teens with complex mental health needs.
- 2016 Derrick, J. (January, 2016). Week Long Residential Mindfulness Retreat for At-risk Teens. Staff for Spirit Rock Meditation Center Mindfulness retreat for teens. Offered week-long education on relational mindfulness, contemplative arts, and interpersonal well-being. Spirit Rock Meditation Center, San Francisco, California.
- 2014 Derrick, J. (July, 2014). Mindfulness and Contemplative Art Practices. Training in Arts-based Mindfulness offered in Department of Psychiatry to international students studying mindfulness practices and integrative medicine.
- 2014 Derrick, J. (April, 2014). Mindfulness and Contemplative Art Practices. Professional facilitation in mindfulness offered at UCLA Wellness Symposium sponsored by UCLA Student Organizations.
- 2013 Nekich, J. (July, 2013). Mindfulness-based Art and Identity Formation in Student Leaders. Invited workshop with high risk, low income minority students admitted to the University of Idaho TRIO program for youth leadership training.
- 2008 Nekich, J. (April, 2008). The Psychology of Sustainability. Talk presented as part of a six-week symposium on sustainability organized by the Moscow Unitarian Universalist Church.
- 2003 Nekich, J. (February, 2003). Attachment and healthy development. Keynote address for the Young Children and Youth Awards Banquet, Moscow, Idaho.
- April 2016, Opening TEDx talk on ‘Kindness as a Mindfulness Practice’ at University of Idaho TEDx Event.
- May 2016, Voted Professor of the Year by Gamma Phi Beta, University of Idaho
- September 2016, Graduate and Professional Student Association passed a resolution to sponsor Dr. Derrick’s mindfulness programming on the U of I Campus.
- January 2015, ASUI Senate passed a resolution to formally sponsor Dr. Derrick's meditation classes at the University of Idaho
- January 2014, University of Idaho Sustainability Center voted to formally sponsor Dr. Derrick's UI Mind in mindfulness meditation program at the University of Idaho
- April 2014, Voted Best Professor by Gamma Phi Delta, University of Idaho
- 2003, University of Idaho, Student Disability Support Services, Outstanding Faculty Award
- 2002, Moscow, Idaho School District #281, Award for Service to Public Schools
- 2001, University of Idaho, Award for Excellence, Alumni Association
- 2001, University of Idaho, Dean of Students, Outstanding Faculty Award