Important Year-End Deadlines
Important Gift Processing Deadlines - Calendar Year 2017
Below are gift acceptance deadlines for 2017, which will determine the tax year for which the donor is able to claim their charitable contribution to the University of Idaho Foundation, Inc. (U of I Foundation or the Foundation). Donors are strongly encouraged not to wait until the last minute to make their gift.
2017 Year-End Office Hours
The U of I Foundation office will be staffed through the end of the year to process gifts and answer inquiries. Our holiday office hours will be:
- 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Thursday, Dec. 18 – 21
- 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday – Friday, Dec. 26 – 29
Cash or Checks:
- Hand Delivered: The last day that a donor or development officer may hand deliver a gift to the U of I Foundation and qualify as a 2017 calendar year gift is Friday, Dec. 29, 2017.
- Via US Mail: Gift envelopes must be postmarked no later than Saturday, Dec. 30, 2017. Mail that is postmarked in Dec. 2017 but delivered in Jan. to other university departments must be sent or delivered immediately to the Foundation office. Donor envelopes must be included with the gift transmittal form so that the postmark date can be verified.
- Sent via third-party carrier: Per the IRS, the legal date for gifts sent via FedEx, UPS or other third-party carrier is the date that the envelope is received by the Foundation — NOT the date sent.
Credit card gifts must be received and charged by the Foundation on or prior to Dec. 29, 2017. Per the IRS, the legal contribution date for a credit card gift is the date that the charge is posted to the donor’s credit card account. The postmark date for a mailed-in credit card contribution does NOT determine the legal gift date for a credit card gift.
- Credit Card Types Accepted: The University of Idaho Foundation, Inc. accepts the following major credit cards for payment of charitable contributions: American Express, Discover, Master Card and VISA.
- Credit Card Information Called in to the Foundation: 2017 credit card gifts must be called into the Foundation no later than 4 p.m. PST on Friday, Dec. 29, 2017.
- Make a gift at www.uidaho.edu/giving/make-a-gift. 2017 gifts must be entered on the website no later than 10 p.m. PST on Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017.
- Electronic transfers of marketable securities: Electronic transfers must be credited to the Foundation’s brokerage account on or before Dec. 31, 2017 to qualify as a 2017 gift. Please instruct donors to initiate their transfers as soon as possible to ensure the transfer is complete by Dec. 31. Contact Shawna Lindquist at 208-885-4000 or email@example.com for transfer instructions or further information.
- Stock certificates: Certificates and signed stock powers (mailed separately) must be postmarked or physically received no later than Dec. 31, 2017.
- In-kind (personal property) gifts must be physically received by a University department prior to Dec. 31, 2017 in order to qualify as a calendar year 2017 contribution. Departments must report in-kind gifts to the Foundation as soon as they are received.
- Gifts of real property must be transferred to the the Foundation prior to Dec. 31, 2017. Real property gifts must have prior approval of the Gift Acceptance Committee.
The University of Idaho Foundation staff looks forward to your cooperation and assistance with Calendar Year End 2017 gift processing. Any questions can be referred to 208-885-4000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
University of Idaho Foundation, Inc.
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3147
Moscow, ID 83844-3147
Mary E. Forney Hall, Room 117 (through the main entrance doors to your left)
1210 Blake Avenue