Calendar Year-End Deadlines
Important Charitable Giving Deadlines - Calendar Year 2019
University of Idaho Foundation Holiday Hours
The University of Idaho Foundation Office will be open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 27 and Dec. 30 to assist you with your year-end gifts in support of the University. The Foundation office will be closed Dec. 23-26, 31, and Jan. 1.
The Foundation thanks all our generous faculty, staff, and alumni who support the Vandals. Happy Holidays!
The University of Idaho Foundation staff look forward to your cooperation and assistance with calendar year end 2019 gift processing. Feel free to contact us with any questions at 208-885-4000 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Don't wait until the last minute!
Below are gift acceptance deadlines for 2019, which determine the tax year for which the donor may claim their charitable contribution to the University of Idaho Foundation, Inc. (UIF). Donors are strongly encouraged not to wait until the last minute to make their gift.
Cash or Check Gift Deadlines
- Hand Delivered: The last day a donor or Development Officer may hand deliver a gift to UIF to qualify 2019 tax year is Monday, Dec. 30, 2019. The UIF office is CLOSED on Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2019.
- Via US Mail: Envelopes must be postmarked no later than Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2019.
- Mail postmarked in December 2019 but delivered in January 2020 to other University departments must be sent or delivered immediately to the Foundation office. Donor envelopes MUST be included with the gift transmittal form to verify the 2019 postmark. Also, include any other gift documentation that accompanies the check (e.g.: cover letter).
- Sent via third-party carrier: Gifts must be received by the UIF office by 5 p.m. on Dec. 30, 2019. Per the IRS, the legal date for gifts sent via FedEx, UPS or other third-party carrier is the date that the envelope is received by UIF — not the date the gift is sent.
Credit Card Gift Deadlines - POSTMARKS DON'T COUNT!
- Hand delivered or via US Mail: Gifts must be received and charged by UIF no later than 4 p.m. PST on Friday, Dec. 30, 2019.
- POSTMARKS DON'T COUNT for credit card gifts! Per the IRS, the legal contribution date for a credit card gift is the date the charge is posted to the donor’s credit card account. The postmark date for a mailed-in credit card contribution does NOT determine the legal gift date for a credit card gift.
- Credit Card Gifts Called into UIF: No later than 4 p.m. PST on Monday, Dec. 30, 2019.
- Credit Card Types Accepted: American Express, Discover, Master Card and VISA.
Online Credit Card Gift Deadlines
- 2019 gifts must be entered online no later than 9 p.m. PST on Tuesday, Dec. 31.
Marketable Securities (Stock Gift) Deadlines
- Electronic transfers of marketable securities: Electronic transfers must be credited to the Foundation’s brokerage account on or before Dec. 31 to qualify as a 2019 gift. Please instruct donors to initiate their transfers as soon as possible or no later than Dec. 16 to ensure the transfer is complete by Dec. 31. Contact Kayla Casey or Shawna Lindquist at 208-885-4000 or email@example.com for transfer instructions or further information.
- Stock certificates: Certificates and signed stock powers (mailed separately) must be received by UIF no later than 5 p.m. on Dec. 30, 2019.
- In-kind (personal property) gifts must be physically received by a University department prior to Dec. 31 in order to qualify as a 2019 tax year contribution. Departments must report in-kind gifts to UIF as soon as they are received.
- Gifts of real property must be transferred to the UIF prior to Dec. 31. Real property gifts must have prior approval of the Gift Acceptance Committee.
Key Points for 2019
- Cash or Check Gift Deadlines: hand delivered by 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 30, 2019 or U.S. Mail postmarked by Dec. 31, 2019
- Credit Card Gift Deadlines: hand delivered or by mail, must be received and charged by UIF no later than 4 p.m. Monday, Dec. 30, 2019.
- Online Credit Card Gift Deadlines: 9 p.m. PST Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2019
- Marketable Securities (Stock Gifts) Electronic Transfer Deadline – Dec. 16, 2019
- Stock Certificates – Via mail received by UIF no later than 5 p.m. Dec. 30, 2019
- Gifts-In-Kind must be received prior to Dec. 31, 2019
- UIF office is CLOSED Dec. 23-26
- UIF office is OPEN Dec. 27 and Dec. 30 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- UIF office is CLOSED Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2018
University of Idaho Foundation
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3143
Moscow, ID 83844-3143
Mary E. Forney Hall, Room 105
1210 Blake Avenue