University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Medical Withdrawal

There are several ways a student may withdraw from the university. Typically, students complete a regular withdraw through VandalWeb. Medical withdrawals are processed through the Office of the Dean of Students.

The DOS office can streamline the process by being a single point of communication to other offices. This office also allows the student to medically withdraw after the deadline without having to petition through their academic college.

Medical withdrawal is available to students who are withdrawing from ALL coursework. If you wish to drop to half-time, or withdraw from selected classes, you must contact your academic advisor or college office to complete an academic petition.

If you are enrolled in the University of Idaho Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) please email regarding your continued eligibility for coverage.  The email should be sent from your official Vandal email and include your name and Vandal number.

  • All UI students, including graduate and professional students, as long as the request is for the term in which you are currently enrolled.
  • Only students who are medically withdrawing from all coursework. If you wish to drop to half-time, or withdraw from selected classes, you must contact your academic advisor or college office.

Academic regulations prohibit the Dean of Students office from selectively withdrawing students from individual classes. We are also unable to withdraw a student from any previously completed terms. Students wishing to withdraw from a summer session should understand that all sessions are considered part of a single term; if you only wish to withdraw from a single session, you must petition through your academic college.

  • Students may complete a regular withdraw from some or all classes through VandalWeb, for any reason, so long as this is completed before the deadline to withdraw (two weeks after mid-term exams, generally 10-12 weeks into the term — please consult the Office of the Registrar.
  • If you wish to complete a regular withdraw from all classes after that date, you must withdraw either by academic petition (contact your individual college) or a medical withdrawal can be processed through the DOS Office.

  • Care providers must have a legitimate, health-based reason to support your request for a withdrawal. If they have not been treating you, or have only limited information, they may not have enough knowledge of your concerns to provide the documentation.
  • Students can contact Student Health Services for medical issues or the Counseling and Testing Center for mental health issues. Students may also consult with a licensed care provider of their choosing (off-campus physician).
  • If your provider is an off-campus provider, you must take the following steps:
    1. Email to tell us that you wish to take a medical withdrawal
    2. You must use your @vandals email account and include your ID number
    3. Submit documentation from your licensed care provider to the DOS, either by mail, drop-off or fax.

      The DOS Office is located in Teaching & Learning Center (TLC) Room 232.

      875 Perimeter Drive MS 2431
      Moscow, ID 83844-4321

      Fax: 208-885-9494

      Documentation must state the following:
      • Care provider’s name/office letterhead
      • A brief statement identifying you as the patient or client.
      • The date of onset of illness
      • Dates of medical care
      • General nature of your medical condition
      • How your medical condition prevented you from completion of your course work
      • The last date you were able to attend classes


In order to meet the academic deadlines, requests and documentation must be submitted no later than the last day of classes before finals week for the term you wish to withdraw — typically the Friday before final exams. Consult the academic calendar to be sure.

Students who are unable to meet this deadline may petition through their academic college.

  • On behalf of the student, the DOS staff notifies the Office of the Registrar, Student Accounts, Financial Aid, Student Health Services and the student’s academic college.
  • The Office of the Registrar will withdraw your enrollment, and your transcript will be notated with a WU grade for each class; WU grades do not affect GPA or academic standing.
  • Student Accounts will audit your account and bill you for any outstanding fees. It takes 10 days to 2 weeks for the audit of a student account. If you have no balance or have a credit, a statement will be issued as well as a refund, if you are eligible. Be sure your current permanent address is on file in order to avoid financial holds on your registration or charges for late payments.
  • If you live in university housing, Housing & Residence Life will be notified, and you need to contact that office to schedule a time to move out and return your keys.
  • If you are a dependent student, we do NOT notify your parents/guardians unless you have signed a waiver releasing us to do so. If you have done so, but have not communicated that you are withdrawing, you need to notify them. If they contact the university and there is a release on file, we will provide them the information we have.
  • Because a withdrawal impacts your education, financial aid and family financial planning, you need to talk openly with your family members so that they can support you and help you re-evaluate your academic and health plan.
  • If you are receiving veteran’s benefits, are an international student on a visa or are receiving an athletic scholarship (NCAA), you must notify that office in order to avoid disruption to your aid, benefits or status.

The University of Idaho does not generally issue refunds after the refund deadline. However, in instances of medical withdrawals, UI issues financial credits based on the schedule below. Terms and Conditions of Financial Credits »


  • Students who are receiving Pell Grants, Direct Student Loans, Parent PLUS loans and other financial support through the Financial Aid & Scholarships office should contact the office PRIOR to withdrawing.
  • Generally, if you withdraw from a term, your aid will be suspended for the following year. However, you can contact the dean’s office of your academic college to assist you with petitioning to have your aid reinstated.
  • Your academic college is notified at the time you withdraw that you have left for medical reasons, but only in terms of your academic progress. Financial aid issues are handled separately and individually. You must contact your academic dean’s office directly if you plan to return to campus and request to have your aid reinstated.


If you have more questions, call the Dean of Students Office at 208-885-6757 or email

Contact Us

Teaching & Learning Center Room 232

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Dr. MS 2431
Moscow, ID 83844-2431

Phone: 208-885-6757

Fax: 208-885-9494


Meet the Staff Map