IRIC Research Space Assignment
Space assignments within the IRIC are based on a project/program team-initiated application that is reviewed and approved by the appointed IRIC Facility Committee, supported by a permanent IRIC Facility Manager, and governed by the criteria listed below. Watch this video explaining the IRIC Space Application process on YouTube.
Required criteria that must be met for IRIC research space consideration:
- The proposed research activity must involve teams of scholars from multiple disciplines.
- IRIC Space request must be project/program-based rather than investigator-based.
- IRIC Space assignments should be for the duration of projects/programs and the PI must have a plan to transition out of IRIC during or after project/program completion.
- IRIC space assignments must be within the operational envelope of IRIC and address hazards as well as other operational issues (e.g. excess noise, weight restrictions, etc.).
- Project/Program must be willing to lead/participate in IRIC community building activities, such as IRIC seminars, outreach, building committees or other activities that inform others and promote collaboration.
- Project/Program must demonstrate an immediate need for space that cannot be addressed in the college/unit.
- Project/Program must utilize students in the research endeavor.
Additional criteria that will bolster an application:
- Project/program is innovative and will strengthen the University of Idaho’s land-grant mission.
- IRIC space allocation offers opportunities for the renovation/upgrade of IRIC research infrastructure.
- IRIC space allocation offers the opportunity to locate a project/program in space that better fits its research needs.
- Size and duration of the space request fits IRIC availability.
- Project/Program can co-locate with similar types of research already assigned space in IRIC.
- Project/Program IRIC space allocation allows for increased interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Equipment/instrumentation and other resources associated with a project/program will be shared with other IRIC occupants and the greater university community.
Other criteria that currently housed projects/programs are expected to have met when applying for future IRIC research space:
- The research conducted in IRIC had demonstratable results and was of high quality and impactful.
- Students participated in the research conducted in IRIC.
- The research activity generated additional research opportunities (e.g., grants, etc.)
- Research activities and IRIC occupants adhered to appropriate best operational practices, including safety, cleanliness and collegiality.
- Project/program participated in IRIC community building activities, such as seminars, outreach, building committees or other activities that inform others and promote collaboration.
Current IRIC projects/programs applying for IRIC research space must have respected other occupants and be considerate of community expectations. IRIC Facility Manager will inform the IRIC Facility Committee of any issues and provide their recommendation on future IRIC space assignment.
For IRIC Screening Forms, please fill them out and send the completed documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about these criteria should be directed to email@example.com.