Level II Entities
This procedure is specific to Level II Entities. If you are unsure if you are a Level II Entity, please refer to the Research Entities homepage.
Procedure for Level II Entities
- Normally called a “center;” reports to a Cognizant Dean.
- Smaller in scope than Level III.
- Activities primarily reside in one or two colleges, although there may be participation from other colleges.
- Director reports to and is supported by a Cognizant Dean or multiple deans.
- College provides administrative and other support where appropriate; no expectation of ORED or other centrally administered support.
Short whitepaper (five pages or fewer, double-spaced, 12-point type, half-inch margins) that includes: a) introduction and background; b) purpose and/or core focus; c) goals; d) key contributors; and e) justification for proposed entity level (I, II or III).
» Send to: email@example.com
- Review by a) deans, b) VPRED and Provost/EVP.
- Invitation (or not) to submit Phase 2 application.
Entity plan, not to exceed 20 pages that addresses strategic, operational and business oriented topics and includes:
- Clear five-year vision and mission statements that provide focus for the scholarly activity and a linkage to the university strategic plan
- Strategies for achieving the mission and vision
- Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT) analysis
- Leadership and management approaches describing how the entity will engage faculty, students, external collaborators and other organizations to ensure quality scholarship
- Key performance measures and targets
- Sustainability plan that addresses staffing, space and other resource needs as well as projections of the funding and sources to support these needs
- Organization and function of an Advisory Committee
- Sunset provisions
Phase 2 Review: a) relevant deans, b) VPRED, Provost/EVP
Entity Approval: VPRED with concurrences of Provost/EVP and relevant dean(s). Documented in an approval letter from VPRED.
NOTE: In proposing a new Level II entity, a University Budget and Finance Committee (UBFC) proposal (or equivalent) may be required if resources are needed for the entity’s successful and sustainable operation. If required, a UBFC proposal (or equivalent) should be developed in collaboration with the Cognizant Dean.
Conducted by Cognizant Dean at least once every five years and documented in a renewal or sunset notification with an electronic copy provided to ORED. Entity plan, with format and requirements to be determined by the cognizant college. The plan should address the following questions.
- Is the entity continuing to fulfill its intended purposes?
- Is the entity effectively engaging internal and external stakeholders?
- Is the entity effectively and efficiently utilizing available resources?
- Is the entity well managed?
- Should the entity continue to operate at level II?
Periodic Review: a) relevant deans, b) VPRED, Provost/EVP
Approval: Cognizant Dean with concurrences of VPRED and Provost/EVP. Documented in an approval letter from Cognizant Dean with an electronic copy provided to ORED and Office of the Provost.
- Appointed by VPRED & Provost/EVP
- Internal advisory committee: deans of colleges from which faculty members are drawn plus other members as needed. The Cognizant Dean appoints the committee chair.
Annual report summarizing activities, accomplishments, and progress relative to performance measures relative to and targets, provided to Cognizant Dean with electronic copy to ORED.