Level I Entities
This procedure is specific to Level I Entities. If you are unsure if you are a Level I Entity, please refer to the Research Entities homepage.
Procedure for Level I Entities
- Normally exists entirely within a college, but is encouraged to cross department lines.
- Reports to a Cognizant Unit Administrator within a single Hosting College.
- Normally the entity’s originators will obtain funding from external sources to test concepts and explore potential to grow into a Level II or III entity.
- Identified director reports to a Cognizant Unit Administrator.
- Receives funding and other support at the discretion of the appropriate administrator under whom the entity is organized.
Short whitepaper (five pages or fewer, double-spaced, 12-point type, half-inch margins) that includes: a) introduction and background; b) purpose and/or core focus; c) goals; d) key contributors; and e) justification for proposed entity level (I, II or III).
» Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Review by a) deans, b) VPRED and Provost/EVP.
- Invitation (or not) to submit Phase 2 application.
Entity plan, with format and requirements to be determined by the cognizant college addressing topics such as vision and mission, strategies for achieving the mission and vision, leadership and management approaches, key performance measures and targets, sustainability and sunset provisions.
Phase 2 Review: a) relevant dean(s) and department heads/directors
Entity Approval: Cognizant Dean. Documented in an approval letter from Cognizant Dean with a copy to ORED.
Conducted by Cognizant Unit Administrator at least once every five years and documented in a renewal or sunset notification with an electronic copy provided to ORED. Entity plan, with format and requirements to be determined by the cognizant college. The plan should address the following questions.
- Is the entity continuing to fulfill its intended purposes?
- Is the entity effectively engaging internal and external stakeholders?
- Is the entity effectively and efficiently utilizing available resources?
- Is the entity well managed?
- Should the entity continue to operate at level I?
Periodic Review: a) relevant dean(s) and department heads/directors
Approval: Cognizant Dean. Documented in an approval letter from Cognizant Dean with an electronic copy provided to ORED.
Advisory committee not required.
Annual report summarizing activities, accomplishments and progress relative to performance measures relative and targets, provided to Cognizant Unit Administrator with electronic copy to ORED.